April 04, 2005

Christians, politics and Terri

As I observed the various groups take stands in the Terri Schiavo case, I noted an interesting polarization along heretofore unexpected lines. I'm not all that sure I could address the thinking behind the non-religious groups that opposed her murder, but I wanted to discuss the various religious responses.

Primarily we saw Catholics. The Schindlers (which would include Terri) are Catholic. But Catholics have always been very active in pro-life matters. Well, let me qualify that to say some Catholics. There is as much variety among those that call themselves Catholic as there are in any group.

Then there were the Southern Baptist, of who I am one. I list them second not because they were active, but because they factored in almost as much as Catholics since Judge Greer professes himself to be a Southern Baptist. At the top levels there was quite a bit of articles, commentaries and posturing by national SBC leaders but on the local level, at least where I live, it was as if she didn't exist.

Yes, that's bothered me quite a bit, and caused me to wonder why. I have noticed that there exists several factors among the variations of Christian theology that seem to affect how politically active people are. The groups that believe salvation is based on works (Arminianism) are affected to a varying degree on that -- but as far as I know only the Catholic church holds that the level of works is a part of that equations. Most others simply follow the thinking that one must keep from sinning.

Southern Baptists are Calvinists, for the most part, and like our other Calvinist brethren see works as a result of, rather than a requirement for salvation. Unfortunately this produces a bit of an apathy toward social reform, not a total apathy, but somewhat of a trend toward it.

But among Calvinists are those who follow Dominion theology. This is the teaching that the millennial kingdom, where Christ will reign on earth, will be brought about by the church. Obviously this would encourage a more active involvement in social and political matters.

What is sad is that Catholic, Baptist, Calvinist or Dominion -- the key factor seems to be a selfish response to a personal desire -- not the free giving of one's self to God's will. One question I kept hearing from the bloggers who were present at the Woodside Hospice last weeks was, “Where are the pastors?” Some were there, but few. Randall Terry was there, continuing to fight in spite of the continuing persecution he receives at the hands of the MSM and their willing accomplices among Liberal “christians”. But seeing how he is vilified for anything and everything he says, many hesitate, lest they too are tossed in the arena as he has been.

And that is the reality of the matter. Those who stand forth, risk being called “radical”, “extremist” and whatever vile name the MSM can think of. But didn't the early Church Fathers suffer far worse? Where are the heroes of our faith? Where are those willing to charge the gates of hell? Where are those who will stand up when it seems all others run away. Where are those willing to look Caesar in the face and boldly proclaim, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord?”

There are a lot of Catholics in this nation -- only a few were in Pinellas Park, Florida last week. There are a lot of Baptists, too -- but few were outside the Woodside Hospice. The estimates of the number of blogs range from 70,000 to 8 million, but there are only a few hundred listed in the “Blogs for Terri” blog roll, and of those less than half bothered to post even the suggested one post a day. Many, rarely posed about Terri at all.

The American government is a government of the people, by the people and for the people, so while we complain of Presidents, Governors, Congressmen, Senators and judges -- the buck stops at me -- and at you. America murdered Terri, and therefore her blood is on my hands, as it is on all of ours. I allowed a President and a governor to hide behind imaginary loopholes. I voted for Congressmen so lacking in integrity that they refused to exercise the powers the Constitution granted them. I allowed judges to remain on the bench, who spit on the Constitution and replaced it with their own whimsical fantasies of power. I failed Terri. I starved her to death. I let her suffer and die of thirst. I am guilty...and if you don't have the courage to admit that as well, then we as a nation are just as doomed as if our military and police ran and hid and allowed those who wish our destruction free reign.

Why should Christians be involved in politics? Because if we are not, more people like Terri will be slaughtered. We cannot fail them. We shouldn't do it because it's required for salvation. We should do it because it's the right thing, and reaching out to help the afflicted is the very heart of service to Christ. We should do it because to do less is undeserving of the title Christian

Posted by Danny Carlton at April 4, 2005 02:11 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Christians, politics and Terri:

» The Church's response to the politics of murder from What Attitude Problem?
Danny Carlton at JackLewis.net does a brief rundown of how the Church responded to Terri Schiavo's murder and then gets down to brass tacks: Why should Christians be involved in politics? Because if we are not, more people like Terri [Read More]

Tracked on April 4, 2005 02:59 PM

Comments

"We should do it because to do less is undeserving of the title Christian."

AMEN! I'm Catholic, and although I do not at all believe that one can work one's own way into heaven, I DO believe that many who are nominally Christian and claim that they are saved demonstrate by their works that are contrary to Christ's teaching that they are not saved.

Although works cannot earn one entry to heaven, Christ said that many people will say "Lord, lord!" to him when he returns and he will tell them to get away from Him because they work iniquity. God is not mocked.

In other words, if we are going to talk the Christian talk, we had better walk the Christian walk. To do otherwise is the hypocrisy that Christ referred to as the leaven of the Pharisees.

Posted by: Frank Villon at April 4, 2005 02:54 PM

Well said. It's about time we started holding church leaders accountable on this matter. What happens next time (and there will be a next time)?

Posted by: greg at April 4, 2005 03:05 PM

give it up with this already. america is a SECULAR nation and thats how it is going to stay because it works best that way. catholics aren't going to take over nor will christians or bible thumpers or snake charmers.

Posted by: steve at April 4, 2005 04:21 PM

"Steve,"

We are not going to give up and we are not going anywhere. If is truly your wish to have us gone, you are going to have to KILL us. Just as your forefathers killed us. Just as you succeeded in murdering Terri Schindler-Schiavo. Yes, you are going to have to kill us and even then, you will not have shaken or changed our faith one iota.

So why don't you put up or shut up? If you want to destroy us, simply do so. We are not afraid of you or your faithless and Godless compatriots. You come from a long line of murderers, so why don't you just live up to your heritage?

You obviously serve a different master than we do. Isn't it time you started serving that master whole hog instead of just throwing out sniping little comments in blogs? Do as your ancestors did and attempt to wipe us out by slaughtering us wholesale. That's what you really want.

Our faith is greater than yours, our Master is greater than yours, and He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world.

You are weak, Steve, and a coward. I shake the dust from my shoes at you.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 4, 2005 06:32 PM

"Steve,"

We are not going to "give it up" and we are not going anywhere. If it is truly your wish to have us gone, you are going to have to KILL us. Just as your forefathers killed us. Just as you succeeded in murdering Terri Schindler-Schiavo. Yes, you are going to have to kill us and even then, you will not have shaken or changed our faith one iota.

You obviously serve a different master than we do. Isn't it time you started serving that master wholehog instead of just throwing out sniping little comments in blogs? Do as your ancestors did and attempt to wipe us out by slaughtering us wholesale. That's what you really want.

You are weak, Steve, and a coward. I shake the dust from my shoes at you.

Posted by: Frank Villon at April 4, 2005 06:43 PM

*brushes the dust off*

why don't you make an attempt to read what i posted instead of acting as though i were persecuting you? how's that for a start? i simply said that america will not become a nation ruled by religion because our founding fathers established america to be secular. secularism is the beauty of america, the fact that we allow for the free and open practice of all religions without the restrictions which would be imposed by one "state sponsored" faith.

how dare you compare me or other protectors of religious freedom and constitutional integrity with someone who has tried to stamp out a religion. maybe if you ceased to make such wild and inaccurate comparisons you wouldn't be labeled by people as "extremists" or "nutjobs."

i have no problem with your faith or with your beliefs. i, in fact, share some of them but that does not mean i wish to turn the government into a vehicle driven and run by those beliefs. doing so would trample on the freedoms of others and, quite frankly, would be unamerican.

god bless you.

Posted by: steve at April 4, 2005 07:25 PM

Steve,

It is quite easy to compare you to those who have tried to murder Christians and wipe out Christianity for over 2,000 years. It's not a matter of "daring" anything on my part to point out the comparison. It's a matter of allowing your own words, Steve, and your own actions to speak for themselves.

And as far as "sharing" SOME of our beliefs, big deal. So what? Satan himself shares "some of our beliefs."

May God rebuke you, and then we can worry about the blessing part. Don't try to foist your Disneyfied Christianity-lite off on me.

Posted by: Frank Villon at April 4, 2005 07:50 PM

frank, frank, frank,

somewhere in your mind you've been able to equate one man and his beliefs with an entire society turned against a religion. your train of thought jumped the tracks, flew over left field and crashed into a UFO convention, but i won't pick fun at that. rather, your refusal to address any of the real issues i brought up is quite interesting. is that because you have no rebuttal or because you'd much prefer to engage in ad hominem attacks?

your use of "my actions" intrigues me since, unless you're a stalker, you wouldn't know my actions from the truth in the Bible. you then follow your knowledge of "my actions" with a comparison to satan. is this to say that unless someone accepts your beliefs fully as truth and doesn't choose to not partake of certain ones they are satan? *logic train derails, news at 11...*

oh, and frank, GOD BLESS YOU!! GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY!! GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!

Posted by: steve at April 4, 2005 08:59 PM

Steve, Steve, Steve,

(What a ridiculous affectation in your form of address which I return to you in kind)

II Peter 2:21-22

I'm through with responding to you. Have fun trying to convince yourself of your arguments.

Posted by: Frank Villon at April 4, 2005 09:26 PM

CALVINISTIC ARGUMENT FOR GOD:

1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
2) Hey, I rather like that idea.
3) Therefore, God exists.

Posted by: boomSLANG at April 4, 2005 10:46 PM