April 04, 2005

Mike the murderer in hiding with police protection

Fearing an attempt on his life, Michael Schiavo, who last week tortured his estranged wife to death is under police protection and is even unable to see his mistress and their illegitimate children.

Anger at Mr Schiavo's actions has been fuelled by the revelation that a court order from a county judge, George Greer, who repeatedly refused the Schindlers' pleas to let their daughter live, will allow him to have her cremated and her ashes interred in Pennsylvania. The Schindlers' request for a share of the ashes or even a lock of their daughter's hair has also been refused.

The family see it as the final act in a 12-year campaign of spite by their son-in-law. Other alleged snubs include having his wife's wedding ring melted down to make a ring for himself.

He refused to allow her parent's to have even a lock of her hair, and we're supposed to feel sorry for the pig? [I'd like to apologize to all the pigs out there for demeaning them with the careless comparison of them with Michael Schiavo.]

I hope he has to stay locked up for a long, long time. It's a lot better than he deserves.

Other Terri Schiavo coverage: Blogs for Terri (also here and here), HyScience, Brutally Honest, Florida Cracker, Teknosis (also here*)

(The link marked with an asterisk [*] is especially worth reading)

Posted by Danny Carlton at April 4, 2005 08:49 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Mike the murderer in hiding with police protection:

» Counting The Cost Ahead Of Time from The Narrow
Apparently, Michael Schiavo understimated the anger that would come his way as a result of him killing his wife. Perhaps when Terri died he let out a big sigh of relief. But, we see that he didn't count the cost... [Read More]

Tracked on April 4, 2005 02:36 PM

» She can't say that, can she? from BTC News
Press critic Tom Engelhardt's invaluable Tom Dispatchblog is featuring a story or two written by his students in the UC Berkeley journalism graduate school. The first comes from Lisa Lambert, who takes on the subject of morality among the ultra-relig... [Read More]

Tracked on April 14, 2005 10:57 PM

Comments

I wish that scumbag would be starved and dehydrated to death like he did to his disabled wife. Just so he knows how painful it really is.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 4, 2005 12:17 PM

i wish bible thumpers like you would be thrown to the lions, like in the good ol' days.

Posted by: steve at April 4, 2005 04:22 PM

My deepest sympathy to the Schindler family. I opened my bible to this today and think it is for their comfort.

Psalm 41

Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the Lord delivers him in times of trouble, The Lord will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.

I said, "O Lord, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you." My enemies say of me in malice, "When will he die and his name perish?" Whenever one comes to see me, he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander; then he goes out and spreads it abroad.

All my enemies whisper together against me; they imagine the worst for me, saying, "A vile disease has beset him; he will never get up from the place where he lies," Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.

But you, O Lord, have mercy on me; raise me up, that I may repay them. I know that you are pleased with me, for my enemy does not triumph over me. In my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever.

Posted by: Sympathetic Friend at April 5, 2005 12:24 AM

Jack, my Christian friend, you are justified in feeling righteous anger.
The manner in which the rat has treated the Schindler family is disgusting.
I am an Australian Catholic and I, too, cared for the fate of Terri.
Use the anger to help all of us make sure that this form of murder is not allowed to continue, and that people who kill the innocent who are elderly, disabled and otherwise vulnerable are sent to prison for their crime. I recommend the model prison system found in Port Arthur as being the most appropriate form of punishment.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 8, 2005 03:59 AM

Jack, my Christian friend, you are justified in feeling righteous anger.
The manner in which the rat has treated the Schindler family is disgusting.
I am an Australian Catholic and I, too, cared for the fate of Terri.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 8, 2005 04:00 AM

To Whom it may concern,
I feel that because of the pope's death which is a true tradgety the Terri Schiavo death has been overshadowed and forgotten far too quickly. There are more facts coming to light now that Terri is dead. Our system failed us and it is too late for Terri, but not too late to make changes and save others like her. Some of the health care that could have saved her was witheld by her husband. She was denied physical therapy, MRI, PET and swallowing tests because he did not want her to have them. Doctors stated that they could have helped Terri and given her a better quality of life. Tests showed that Terri had been strangled and had broken ribs but there were no signs of heart failure. Immediate family members were given unequal rights, rights that should have been given to them were instead given to the husband. Terri had more life and spirit in her than unborn babies which are protected while still inside the mother. How is it that Terri could have survived with basic needs: food and water, yet she was denied them. Starving to death was something that should have never been forced upon her. That is something that is so evil not even so called hate groups use it as torture. A federal law should be put into place that keeps people like Terri alive until at least a panel of doctors can review the case and all of them unanimously decide that the patient is in severe constant pain and cannot be rehabilitated to a livable state. Judges should not have the power to sentence a person to death when that person is guilty of no crime. In our country life should be valued above all else. The subject of what is "life" and what is not will be strongly debated forever and then some. While we as humans are always learning and finding new ways to save and prolong life while at the same time inproving the quality of life I think we should all error on the side of causion. While today saving someone in Terri's place is not an everyday occurrance, soon it may be. Look at the technilogical advances we have made in just the past few years. Would it be so wrong to sustain life without any harm to the person being kept alive? As long as that person is willing to fight to stay alive we should do all in our power to help them. Who can say that a cure will not be found tomorrow? This case has been widely publicized and there are undoubtedly many more cases like it, yet we must act when we are made aware of unjustice. The constitution was made to be changed and improved upon. Let us use the powers we have to better our world.
Here are a few thoughts to ponder while you sit and wonder if what I have written should be used to bring to bear a change for what I believe to be the better. Terri's husband used his personal anger to subject pain and suffering upon her and her family. He left her for another woman who he had children and fell in love with. Why didn't he just get a divorce and let Terri's parents care for her? He would have had no guilt, he didn't have any when he went to another woman. He has started another family and left Terri behind except to have her killed. If he really loved Terri he would have exhausted every test possible to help her and would have done all in his power to save her and prolong her life. No matter what his argument with her parents. There was no love there between them. He just set out to finish what he started in the beginning. It was our justice system who helped him carry it out without any punishment. It is very obvious that he did not use the money awarded to him to help Terri get better care or help her. He instead used it to help to kill her. He refused to allow her help, care, and in the end life. This comes down to basic human morals. I feel if a man has moved on and started another family then the judge should have ruled that they were divorced.
Terri's husband was afraid that she would be helped and that his crime would come to light. He wanted to make sure that would never happen. Just by reading all the facts about this case and hearing how she could communicate and seeing the videos of how she could communicate, one could see that she had a soul and brought love to many. I am sure when the results of the autopsy if not altered come into public record years from now when statutes expire and the guilty party is long gone that we will see how much alive Terri really was. We will also see how high her chances were of full recovery. But now we can only sit and wait and wonder. Why is it that the one person who has the most to loose by what has happened is the one who has all the power in this case. Think if this was your daughter, what would you do? Your sister? Your wife? I know if it was mine I would go the extra step. I would give my life in order to ensure that she had every possible chance to survive. Also if she wanted to die, why did she fight so hard to stay alive? 13 Days without food or water. Try it and see how much of an effort it takes to survive like that. That in itself shows a willingness to live. God gave her the strenght to fight and in the end he had to save her from her pain because we failed her. The human race yet again failed to save itself. I do not understand how it is that immediate family members, blood relatives are denied equal rights as the husband. This is someone who was living with another woman and had started a family, engaged to be married. Would this happen again he will be given the same rights to kill his next wife? The family has equal rights to know about medical prognosis but yet cannot have the power to help that person. This does not make any sense, especially when he has moved on. He had his money and then decided to move on. Even before that he hurt her, he realized that his murder attempt did not work the first time. His original plan failed but in the end it was the money that helped him finish the job. He got his wish, not her wish. He even stated that he hated Terri's family and that was the reason he did not divorce her and let her live. That in itself shows what kind of person he is.
This will always be a tradgedy that a young girl, so young, who never did any crime and lost her life so young, died so painfully and a wrongful death. I am writing because I have freedom of speech. This country is supposed to be free and all of us should be given Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The way this country is going we are all without them. We are god's children and what made her any different? If her parents wanted to help her, then what gave the court the right to take that away? A death sentence was imposed upon Terri Schiavo, not just that, torture. because she wasn't like everyone else. I thought that was part of what our world is all about each of us being unique. It should not be a bad thing to be different. I feel that she was also discriminated against because she was disabled. No-one even know if she was as bad off as we were told. If she was why does that make the judge or the husband a god? So if a girl is dealt the wrong hand then she should die. No-one said life was fair but this is a moral error, like that of a public execution but worse. To all those people who thought this was the right thing to do, if it was your family member, you would change your mind. To her family which I saw I feel sorry for you, I could see the love in your family photos. It was a shame what happened to you. You should have been able to go to the courts and have Terri's husband removed since he obviously started another life with another woman and was causing Terri's downfall. So many tests that were refused and so much help that should have been allowed to her. At this point it does no good, but I have never seen anything so tradgic in my whole life. If this had been another country then you can bet our president would have made sure that things did not happen this way. Instead our president merely said a few passing words and ignored the issue. Dealing instead with his so called 'war'. I hope you continue to go forward and I wish you the best of luck. Remember we will be here to support you in your efforts to keep her memory alive. She will never be forgotten. Hopefully true justice will be served in the end. God Bless You All.

Posted by: David Harrison at April 10, 2005 06:21 PM

LV, you apparently have no problem with an innocent woman being murdered by her adulterous husband yet find imaginary offenses by people whose religion you dislike enough to raise your ire. Sad, very sad.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at April 15, 2005 10:09 PM

Terri starved her body to get in the condition she was in, I don't understand why you all are blaming Michael, after all as beautiful as she was and weight conscious, she would never have wanted the world to see her the way she had become. I felt so sorry for her parents and what they went through with this, but I also feel sorry for Michael and do not blame him for getting on with his life, I would not want my husband to have to go through what Michael did, without making another life. Since I could no longer be that companion to him. Maybe he should have divorced her, which would have been better for the whole family. People should not condemn others till they have walked a mile in their shoes. It is so easy to condemn, but we need to be cautious when doing so.

Posted by: barbara stidham at April 16, 2005 02:34 PM

At her collapse she stood 5'3" tall and weighed between 112 and 115 feet tall. Right now my wife stands 5'3" tall and weighs a bit less than 110 pounds, and worries that she weighs too much. She's by no means underweight.

There was never any substantial evidence that Terri was bulimic. The jury had an inconclusive medical report and Michael's word and tossed him some money from the doctor's malpractice insurance because they felt sorry for him. He testified under oath that he needed the money to care for her -- yet he used it instead to fight to kill her.

The only thing Terri was guilty of was marrying a monster.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at April 16, 2005 05:28 PM