April 19, 2005

Pope Benedict the Sixteenth

Well it appears the College of Cardinals has chosen a new Pope. Joseph Ratzinger of Germany. And he's considered a traditionalist. His new “Pope name” is Benedict the Sixteenth. I wonder what my “Pope name” would be? Maybe there's one of those cool web sites that let's you figure it out like they do for your Star Wars name or Movie Star name.

One annoying thing about this process is the way Catholic media types seem to assume everyone else is as enthused about it as they are. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting, but I'm hardly going to sit glued to the TV for hours on end watch smoke pour out a chimney waiting for the results. I can understand their excitement, but they need to realize they rest of us don't see the guy as an infallible mediator between us and God.

During the chit-chat following the decision I heard one TV commentator/host/whatevertheyare ask another, “Do you think it's a good pick?” That's like asking, “Isn't my baby beautiful?” It's a rhetorical question posing as a real question, unless the person being asked is some bone-head Liberal or Andrew Sullivan.

This morning I heard some guy on TV call the meeting a Papal Enclave and they pronounced Papal in a way that rhymed with grapple. My wife said it sounded like something you'd go to the gynecologist for. (She said it, not me, okay)

I've always found it interesting how Catholics are so open and, well almost gregarious with their rituals. They are not only proud of them, they tell you about them, and act as if you should be just as excited. Now I've found that Jews tend to have pride in their rituals, but are somewhat hesitant about sharing them directly to us gentiles. Moslems on the other hand seem almost embarrassed about the rituals of their religion. I'm not sure why. Being Southern Baptist we don't have too many formal rituals, but lots of informal rituals. Wednesday night potluck. Piano on the left, organ on the right. Stand for most if not all of the hymns, especially the one's like " Stand up, Stand up for Jesus" (I actually was at a church service where we sat during that hymn. Half the congregation spent the entire time looking around confused. "But...it says...?!?")

Well, I'm glad the Catholics have a new Pope. From what I hear he's a really impressive fellow. I'm expecting good things from him.

Pope round-up: Powerline (also here), Michelle Malkin, Captian's Quarters, Political Animal, Outside the Beltway (also here), WizBang (also here), HyScience (also here and here), RW Conspiracy, Ace of Spades (also here and here), Indepundit, Jawa Report

Posted by Danny Carlton at April 19, 2005 04:56 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Pope Benedict the Sixteenth:

» We Heard it on the Radio from The Common Room
Spare us all, please, the pseudo questions (words phrased as questions but which are really intended to be used as a platform to complain about the fact that the Catholic church wishes to remain a Catholic church and not repackage itself as a 21st cent... [Read More]

Tracked on April 19, 2005 05:44 PM

Comments

Jack,

Catholics do not see the Pope as being an infallible mediator between ourselves and Jesus. I do not know where you got that understanding, but it is not accurate.

The Bishop of Rome is not infallible as a person. The infallibility only applies to matters of doctrine and morals.

There is no mediation between us, the Pope and Jesus. I am not sure how to explain what really happens, but I can see that when people get their understanding of the Catholic Church from sources other than Catholics, they do end up with some rather wrong ideas on what it is all about.

When we go to Church, we go there to worship the One True Living God.

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 20, 2005 03:59 AM

Actually I find quite a variance of beliefs from Catholics and when I try to read what the actual Roman Catholic documents claim, they are overly vague to the point of lending themselves to wide abuse through "interpretation".

The point I was trying to make is that we don't see him in anyway near the same light as Catholics, and while we are happy that you guys are happy, we were getting tired of the endless coverage and speculation.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at April 20, 2005 11:28 AM

i find the pope as a really good replacement for pope john paul II he was very close to POpe john paul II so i find him ok. why do the poeple here doen't have faith? they shoud respect every kind of religion that every people has.. the way we treat them..

Posted by: Hannah at April 21, 2005 03:02 PM

What if the Catholics are right? Can I be a Christian and be anti-Catholic? Is my faith the result of a marital and political squabbles with Ann Boleyn, Henry the 8th, and the Catholic Church. Where can I hang my coat?

Posted by: Paul Joseph at April 24, 2005 08:12 AM

Why can't I have Saints? Why can't I Baptize my Babies? Why should I ignore the Jesus' mother? Why can't I have a picture of Jesus in my house? Finally, if the they are right about the body and blood of Jesus, we have to be the biggest fools around.

Posted by: Paul Joseph at April 24, 2005 08:19 AM

When Bobby Welch was picked as the Southern Baptist Convention President don't we believe he was picked by the Holy Spirit? Has he not he been called by God? So then why, not Benedict?

Posted by: Paul Joseph at April 24, 2005 08:28 AM

how do you know all about muslims being very shy about there rituals? i think that is very interesting for i did muslims for religeos in primary school and they didnt say that at all.

Posted by: katie at October 15, 2005 09:04 AM