Powered by
Movable Type 3.2
Design by
Danny Carlton

Made with NoteTab

April 26, 2005

Taran Francis

New York News day is reporting that the Montefiore Medical Center has decided not to challenge the request of patient Taran (NYND spells it Teron, but ABC and Blogs for Terri spell in Taran) Francis' family to keep him on a respirator.

The hospital Sunday again insisted it had never planned to remove the teen from life support, as the family has claimed. The controversy developed a few days after the boy was diagnosed.

Teron was diagnosed at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center last Monday after he complained of a severe headache and toothache. A CT-Scan showed an infection had spread to his brain.

He later suffered convulsions and became unconscious. He was then hooked up to a respirator and moved to Montefiore for surgery on Tuesday.

A day later, at Montefiore, the family said a doctor told that the boy was brain dead, and that state law allows the hospital to remove such patients from respirators after 24 hours.

The hospital initially refused to treat him when he arrived requesting medical attention, which makes their move to kill him very suspect. Interesting how the light of public scrutiny can change people's story so quickly, isn't it.

Coverage: Blogs for Terri

Posted by Danny Carlton at April 26, 2005 10:40 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Taran Francis:

» Update on the Taran Francis case from Respectful Insolence
Unfortunately, some of the same groups that rallied to Terry Schiavo's cause have taken on Taran's cause, even though the two cases are not analogous. [Read More]

Tracked on May 1, 2005 01:26 PM


Actually, that's the first time I heard that the hospital refused to treat him, and I've been following the story since I became aware of it a couple of days ago. What is your source for that information? What, specifically, are you referring to?

Perhaps you are confusing the fact that the boy showed up for his dental procedure without his guardian and was turned away. According to the New York Post:

The family's ordeal began April 6, when Taran complained of a toothache. Doctors at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital's pediatric dental clinic scheduled him for root canal April 15.

When Taran arrived for his scheduled surgery, he was turned away because he was not accompanied by a guardian. Two days later, the toothache became a massive headache, and he was admitted to Bronx-Lebanon Hospital and tested for meningitis.

Given that no medical facility I am aware of would perform a surgical procedure on a minor without the guardian's signing the consent form (except in the case of immediately life-threatening conditions), I don't see how this could be an indictment of the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital. From what I have heard on the TV accounts, apparently the person who accompanied Taran to his surgery was not his guardian and not yet 18. The hospital might be criticized for scheduling his surgery for nine days later, but that's still not an uncommon or entirely unreasonable amount of time for such a procedure in such busy clinics. Have you ever actually worked in such a clinic? I have.

So, please, explain exactly what you mean by your accusation that the "hospital initially refused to treat him" and provide documentation for that claim. I'm curious to know.

Posted by: Orac at April 26, 2005 07:14 PM

Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)

Security verification

Type the characters you see in the image above.