April 09, 2005

They're murdering Mae Magouirk!!

This is a timeline I've constructed to better allow you to understand what's going on. There's a lot more information available, but I wanted to try to put the issue into a more structured form.

March 28 -- Following a heart problem which put her in the ICU, Mae Magouirk's granddaughter, Beth Gaddy, claiming to have medical power of attorney, transferred her to a Hospice, and order no food or water for her grandmother.

March 31 -- Mae's sister, Ruth Mullinax and her brother, A.B. McLeod, called the hospice to notify them that only they legally had medical power of attorney, and ordered the feeding tube put back in. The Hospice complied.

April 1 -- Mae's nephew Ken Mullinax and A.B. McLeod showed up at the hospice to meet with the in-house legal counsel, Carol Todd and arrange emergency air transport for Mae Magouirk's transfer to the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center. The Hospice-LaGrange stalled them while Beth Gaddy went before Troup County Georgia (LaGrange, Ga.) Probate Judge Donald W. Boyd (who DOES NOT hold a law degree) who granted Beth Gaddy emergency guardianship of Mae Magouirk, giving Beth Gaddy full and absolute authority. Gaddy, again, ordered the feeding tube pulled.

April 4 -- Family members appeared before Judge Boyd. Ignoring most of the family except Gaddy, Boyd ordered that three doctors should evaluate Mae Magouirk's condition to determine of she would survive a transfer to the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center (One of the top cardiovascular centers in the USA)

Today -- After examining Mae Magouirk the court appointed doctors have spend days “consulting” on their decision, and have yet to give one. Meanwhile Mae Magouirk grows weaker.

Contact list: Blogs for Terri

Coverage: CatHouseChat, WizBang (also here), Blogs for Terri (also here), RW Conspiracy, Cait's Oz Blog (also here), Baylyblog, Batesline, Barbarians at the Gate, Cao's Blog, MediaCulpa

Posted by Danny Carlton at April 9, 2005 11:15 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference They're murdering Mae Magouirk!!:

» Dying of "convenience" from CatHouse Chat
(or, perhaps I should say, [Read More]

Tracked on April 9, 2005 11:23 AM

Comments

Thanks so much for compiling this, Danny, it's very helpful.

I also heard something about Mrs. Magouirk's eye medication being refused? This may mean that, even if she survives this criminal buffoonery, she may be completely blinded.

Do you have any resources/links which can confirm this aspect of the case?

Oh, and as stated at the top, my post ismainly to serve as a link dump, so as much information as possible is consolidated in one place. Please feel free to e-mail me with any other links and articles I need to post.

I'll be TBing any posts of interest you send from that same entry on my blog, so don't be surprised if you get pinged by the same post a couple of times.

Thanks million, again!
-- R'cat

Posted by: Romeocat at April 9, 2005 11:29 AM

After this thing is settled, one thing is certain. If Probate Judge Boyd violated or ignored Georgia law (and given the reports it is almost certain that he did) he should be impeached immediately. Ignoring state law, and transferring custody over to another relative, ignoring the living will of a patient; these are all gross violations of law and ethics. My question is why Gaddy went to this Probate judge in the first place? Because of the living will...Boyd has no authority under the law to invalidate it. Is his the only local court, or did she go to a "friendly" judge?

Clearly an appeals court should be doing an emergency review and right this wrong. In the absence of that, it looks as if the good old boys in Georgia are conducting business as usual.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 9, 2005 01:31 PM

They sometimes refuse to give eyedrops because even that might give the person hydration. It also causes blindness and immense difficulty in even opening the eyes. EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE, but I gather she's been sedated.

Posted by: Cao at April 9, 2005 02:56 PM

Such a horrible story. I had put this on my site to get other people to hear it as well. Thank you for the time line. Very informative!

~Julie

Posted by: Julie at April 9, 2005 05:18 PM

I think that the "jusge" and the "loving" grand daughter are the ones who belong in the hospice AKA slaughterhouse. I hope that Maw survives and has the jusge and the grand daughter charged and that she sues the "hospice" and wins big time. I will forward information to AARP in case they are not aware of this. Is this how the government is going to "fix" social security .... kill of everyone on it???

Posted by: Pattie7242 at April 9, 2005 09:10 PM