June 08, 2005

Another American girl missing in Aruba

While Aruba does damage control over fears that their tourism industry may suffer, reports have surfaced that Natalee Holloway is not the only young American girl to disappear there.

From The Hawaii Channel:

Another family said they know exactly what the parents of Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teenager who has been missing in Aruba since last week, are going through. They've been dealing with the same nightmare for seven years.

The Bradleys, of Virginia, went on a cruise in 1998 and Aruba was one of the stops. That's where their daughter disappeared.

Iva Bradley said her 23-year-old daughter, Amy, befriended three men who worked on the cruise ship and they wanted to take her to a bar in Aruba.

"They said they wanted to take her to a bar on Aruba that was called Carlos and Charlie's," said Bradley. "She made a face and said 'I wouldn't get off the ship with any of those guys anyway. That's creepy.'"

Amy Bradley was last seen in her cabin at 5:15 a.m. By 6 a.m., she was nowhere to be found....

Bradley's case remains open with the FBI. WVTM-TV in Birmingham, Ala., spoke with her case manager in Barbados but there wasn't much she could say. However, she did confirm reports of a sighting by a Naval officer one year after the woman disappeared.

The officer told the FBI he went to a brothel in Curac'l on Canal. He said an American girl leaned in and said: "My name is Amy Bradley. I need your help."

Unfortunately he didn't report the sighting for sometime and by then the brothel had burned to the ground. The FBI has released sketches of suspects in her case.

There is a $260,000 reward for information leading to Bradley's whereabouts. Her family continues to hope that someone, somewhere, has information that could finally reunite the missing daughter with her parents.

Obviously Hawaii would have another motive in making sure this story gets out: if Americans are afraid of foreign tropical vacations, Hawaii is the next best choice. Be that as it may, there is truth in the fact that one shouldn't expect the same kind of treatment in a foreign nation that you'd get in the US. A co-worker of my wife's was confused by her decision to visit Nicaragua. “Why would you go on vacation there?” he asked. She had to explain that it wasn't a vacation, it was a mission trip to provide health care to impoverished people living there. Even then, the group had strict rules about who went where, and with whom. People on vacation rarely think about such things. Obviously they should.

General Coverage: HyScience, Cao's Blog

Posted by Danny Carlton at June 8, 2005 09:15 AM

Comments

Halllooooo you have no prove that Bradley went missing in aruba ok be realistic
and why doesn't anybody says that Holloway was DRUNK AND HAD SEX with one of this 3 gays!!!!!!Give the story COMPLETE

Posted by: proud to be arubiaan at June 9, 2005 04:03 PM

Where is Curac'l on Canal, I have searched all of the ABC islands and nothing comes up.

Posted by: Tom Officer at June 10, 2005 12:12 PM

Interesting. Please remember that many parts of the world are both more civilized AND safe than the USA. Don't judge the food you haven't tasted!
There are dangerous places in the smallest (and largest) towns in the USA. There are more "disappearances" and murders here than any other place in the world.
Don't give a place a bad name, just because it is influenced by rich American tourists!

Never been to Aruba. Travelled the world. See the truth.

Posted by: marianne at June 10, 2005 09:53 PM

I have been following this story a little, well it is all over the place! I must first send my deepest regards out to the family. Now, as horrible as it is to say, I think little miss goodie too shoes let her hair down a little. What I do not understand is with 124 other students and what? 7 chaparones, how did nobody notice her missing until the next morning. It is unfortunate, but what could of happened is that these three boys ran a train on this young girl, and be it as it may, maybe she liked it. However, maybe something "went terribly wrong" and being as drunk as she was and maybe in a bit of shock, she passed out and never woke up. It happens alot at college parties. Anyway, the boys got scared, came up with a "solid" story and are sticking to it. All I am saying is that as more comes out of this, I think the girl was on to a wild and free frenzy and an accident occured and her partying days ended a little soon. As far as Aruba, they sould not get a bad name for this, it happens over here in the good ole USA, practically every day, we are just a lot bigger.

Posted by: Jill at June 11, 2005 06:41 AM

I think this is a terrible thing that happened. I have a teenage daughter. I also remember going to the shore after graduation and drinking, drinking, drinking, and drinking some more. If parents believe these kids are not interested in drinking "senior week" they are only fooling themselves. Kids want to go where they are "legal" to drink, even if it means to a foreign country. Parents needs to put their foot down and stop this. This could have happened anywhere, Aruba, isn't to blame. Parents are for allowing such freedom to young adults these days. They still want to test the waters as we did. Unfortunately, they can't do it legally in most US cities anymore.

Posted by: Anna at June 12, 2005 07:11 PM

yes,comment to whay u have written.I truely agree with you on it could have hap here in the good ole u s of a.but it did not and someone is responsible.i also think the same thing ,drunk and partying to much unless,she could have ben sold.It happens ,she was a pretty blond girl and those people that sell and buy girls,well its said that blondes r sold for a lot of money.But in this case i think those boys did away with her.you wait and see,they killed her i think.

Posted by: ann campbell at June 13, 2005 05:19 AM

First of all no one know what happened to this girl. So the person who left the comment on June 9 needs to shut up because you weren't there with this girl but since your "proud to be arubiaan" maybe you know where shes at. And to "Jill" "but what could of happened is that these three boys ran a train on this young girl, and be it as it may, maybe she liked it" How can you say this, you must not have children. And if you did i feel sorry for them.

Posted by: Tricia at June 13, 2005 10:56 AM

Tricia let me tell you e few thing first if you're so bright like you pretend you know that Aruba has no trains
and second i wasn't with her but you can ask any one maybe you can ask one of the girls that came with her on the trip what kinds off "things " they did her you don't know but i know so YOU need to shut up
And oooooooo sorry you forget not even the FBI that you pretend is so Good can find her who knows maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it's something for the insurance b'case your well kn owed for hiding to catch insurance money
HUMMMmmm maybe thats the case??????

Posted by: PROUD TO BE ARUBIAAN!!!! at June 13, 2005 09:03 PM

Look broad.......
You must be an idiot!!!!!!! By " Train" i dont mean cho cho train dumb a**. And i did not leave that comment. Read my paragragh again you idiot. And maybe the case is that them arubian people do wait for people that are out of town and take advantage of them. So like i said you werent there so shut up.. you make no sense. And if your so fucking bad a** and you know more of this case that anyone else.... Please enlighten us!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tricia at June 14, 2005 04:37 PM

F*** YOU PIECE OF S***

I HOPE YOU GET MORE SEPTEMBER 11

So you Americans can really to take responsibility for your actions

Americans means A LOT OF STUPID PEOPLE WITH NO BRAINS

AND SCREW YOU!!!!

Posted by: PROUD TO BE ARUBIAAN!!!! at June 14, 2005 10:47 PM

I feel sorry for you, "arubiaan" must not have a heart. How can you wish more death, than what your people has already caused us. I'm proud to be an American and i will stand next to my country. That comment you left about the September 11 that was hitting below the belt. I just really wish that you never do loose anyone that you really love in a situation like Natalee or Sep.11
And im going to drop here. It no use arguing with a child.

Posted by: Tricia at June 15, 2005 08:56 AM

I can't believe some of the comments I've seen in here. Well,as for proud to be "arubian" I think you need to realize that there is a family suffering here.You must not have a heart,or a mother or a sister...because that could've happened to them!!And as for us "Americans"(we the tourist)are the ones who put the food on your plate, because if it wouldnt be for us, Aruba wouldnt be a tourist Island and making any money.

Posted by: ANGIE at June 15, 2005 11:12 AM

I can't see how so many of you talk s*** about this poor girl. Yeah, she graduated & decided to let loose probably for once in her life & look what happens. Some sick f*** decides to take advantage of that. She's probably in some whore house right now, so drugged up she don't even know who she is. I feel sorry for her parents, they are in my prayers. To those who think she probably deserved what she got, you have no heart. Just wait, one day something bad will happen to you & people will look down on you because you felt this way about Natalee. I'm proud to live in the USA & for those who said something about wanting the US to have another 9/11, ya'll can go straight to hell.

Posted by: C.S.H. at June 15, 2005 02:08 PM

About the comment about the Whore house thats true and very sad. They take these girls and sell them. I just hope that the lord is watching over Natalee and that she will come home oky with her parent. I have faith in the lord. and i will pray to him so that Natalee will come home.

Posted by: Tricia at June 15, 2005 04:08 PM

Something I'd like to hear more about (that doesn't seem to be mentioned much on the Internet) is the cultural differences between the Dutch Arubans and the native Arubans. The CIA World Fact book gives a lot of information, but seems to be lacking in the cultural descriptions.

As for "Proud to be Arubiaan" you certainly are giving your fellow Arubans a bad face. I think most of us will understand that you don't represent most Arubans.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at June 16, 2005 08:05 AM

I'M SORRY THAT THE WORLD IS NOT WHAT IT USE TO BE.
IN THE US OR IN ANOTHER COUNTRY WE SHOW NO PRIDE IN FREEDOM AND LIBERTY. I THINK IT IS TERRIBLE PEOPLE WOULD SPEAK TO OTHER PEOPLE IN THE COMMENTS ABOVE. IT STILL STANDS THAT A GIRL IS MISSING AND NOBODY KNOWS WHERE SHE IS. YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT HER FAMILY AND RELATIVES IN THERE TIME OF NEED. EVERYBODY IS ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT THERE SELFS. I WILL PRAY FOR HER AND OTHERS ABOVE THAT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH.

Posted by: JCOLLIN at June 16, 2005 09:53 PM

Lets be cautious about the comments we make over this tragedy. This is no joke and certainly not worthy of any comments that belittle or degrade the victim. Aruba is a permissive island and predators and sexual deviates are drawn there as well as other haunts like Cancun during spring break. The Arubian that made the 9-11 comment needs to beat like a runaway slave. This poor idiot is doomed to stay on that rock and his or her simple mind can't comphrehend anything that happens out of his/her third world hole. So consider the source. Let the police and FBI pinch these little bastard kids and one or more will surely sing. Pray not only for Holloway, but for others that may stumble the same path wherever in the world they may be in.

Posted by: Steve at June 17, 2005 10:21 PM

i couldnt agree more with trisha. unfortunatly this girl most likely bit off more than she could chew and got herself in a bad situation. all too common as many have said for teens on spring break and school trips. the sad truth is lesser version of this story happen everyday at home and abroad. all we can do is wish well for her and her family and hope for a miracle to happen. reality however is very unforgiving

Posted by: A LOT OF STUPID PEOPLE WITH NO BRAINS at June 21, 2005 02:26 PM

The comment that Steven made regarding the 9/11 things was great. People just don't understand all the bad things that can happen to you, it doesn't matter who or where you are. S**** happens & it sucks. I can't believe how strong Natalee's mom is staying through all of this, she's a great lady to handle this the way she is. Hopefully the outcome of this mess in Aruba will be positive, just have to keep praying for the family & for Natalee that she's safe & will return unharmed. To all of Natalee's family & friends, just know there are people all over that are praying for ya'll. And to those who think she got what she deserved for letting loose a little, your horrible horrible people & just wait your day will come when something bad happens to you. Then what????

Posted by: C.S.H. at June 22, 2005 10:57 AM

These comments I have read are awful and uncalled for. It is a sad situation and hopefully Natalee will be found alive. I just have one thought, as a former school teacher I know that when we went on class trips we had to have 1 chaparone for every 10 students. We constantly had roll call, bed checks, etc. I know this school trip was a graduation trip but was it school sponsored? If so, why so few chaparones (7 for 120+students)? It is true that some of these students may have partied and got drunk, maybe Natalee did too, who knows. Maybe someone put something in her drink that made it easy for them to take her without anyone seeing her. You would think that if she was at a bar that night she would be with at least one of her friends and that friend would have went with her if she left willingly with 3 guys. Girls stick together in the bar scene, especially in unfamiliar territory. Remember guys, we also go to the bathroom together don't we? Lord willing she will be alright and this will be over soon.

hoping for the best

Posted by: CC at June 24, 2005 12:01 PM

It is very sad to read some of these postings that only brings forward anger and hatred.
Aruba, the US, the parents, the kids are not to blame. Our society, the worlds society is to blame. It is obvious hate is making humanity turn on eachother. Lets put all of this aside,
and use the time it has taken you to write negative comments and use it to say a prayer for this girl and her family. She I agree, she was probably drinking and enjoying the freedom and yes there there were not enough chaps, and yes she probably went willingly with those boys. However; NOBODY DESERVES to go missing.
For those of you that are saying all these things about a girl you do not even know, why don't you look in the mirror and do some soul searching. I am sure those of you can not throw stones, because we ALL live in glass houses. Even the best of us have skeletons in our closets.
Use your energy and time to PRAY for the family, for this girl, for those that are in jail and for their families.
No matter how wrong they all might be they need help. Help to find the girl alive, help to those that contributed to her disapperance, even if that help is to keep them off the street.
Sincerely,
A MOTHER!!

Posted by: A mother at June 24, 2005 06:52 PM

Come on, if this was anyone but a wealthy white American girl, no one would even care. Millions of girls who happen to be brown, poor, and not American are systematically brutalized, raped, and killed daily world wide.
Just because she was pretty, white, and American we are supposed to feel sorry for her? She lived a privileged life that most on this planet will never see. Pity? You’re Breaking my Fuc*ing Heart.

Posted by: Zed at June 28, 2005 01:59 PM

There is alot of anger & hatred going through these comments, but some are saying things that should not be said about America, Natalee Holloway, & for one if it was a girl that was black, hispanic or any other race the same thing would be going on. It would just depend on how much the family & everyone else wanted them back. And, apparently Natalee's famliy wants her back extremely bad. These poor people have been in Aruba for a month as of today waiting to bring their daughter home & nothing has been seen or heard from her. They may have to except the fact that they won't be bringing her back to the United States, & if that happens they will need all the prayers & support they can get. If you have harsh feelings about all this, put yourselves in their position & see how you would feel. You would feel horrible, hurt, a feeling that you've never felt, that is unless you don't have a freaking heart. Mr. & Mrs. Holloway we are praying for you & for Natalee to return to you safely.

Posted by: C.S.H. at June 30, 2005 02:23 PM

IT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER WHAT OR HOW THIS HAPPENED ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT NATALEE BE FOUND (ALIVE HOPEFULLY). ONE WAY OR THE OTHER THIS FAMILY NEEDS SOME ANSWERS!!!! I CAN NOT IMAGINE NOT KNOWING WHERE OR WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY CHILD!!! MY HEART AND PRAYERS ARE WITH EVERYONE INVOLVED AND I HOPE THEY GET SOME KIND OF ANSWERS SOON!!!!!!

Posted by: a concerned person at June 30, 2005 09:10 PM

During the cases of Amy Bradley, Annette Mizener and Natalee Holloway, I began to have a real hatred against those arubans. I am saving money to go there as soon as possbile to help search for natalee and to keep an eye open for Amy (I plan to go looking for Canal on Curac'l (they say it has since burnt to the ground) but there are more brothels in Curacoau so maybe there is a chance she will be spotted. I will keep you informed as my findings.
I hope during my visit there, the people of aruba can make my thoughts different because at the moment, I really hope someone from there would go missing so the familie of that person can go through the same hell that Natalee's parents are going through. I wonder if they will mess up things allso if it was one of their own.

Posted by: KRis who hates arubans at July 9, 2005 10:30 AM

hey,how many girls have gone to aruba and are missing,that no one knows about,that's been covered up? Taken to Ven.island by the little party cruise boat that sits in the water there.they let the guy go after questioning,that was a no,no,.how much does he get for each girl?

Posted by: jt. at August 7, 2005 12:09 AM

It really is terrible for these girls going on a trip and coming up missing, thats really sad. I really hope Natalee Holloway returns home to her friends and family and the same for Amy Bradley, who came up missing when on a family trip to Aruba. In my own opinion I think Natalee was sold as a prostitute because they said the boy who was suspected of kidnapping Natalee had a gambling problem, so I think he sold her and the same with Amy Bradley. My thoughts and prayers are with the Natalee Holloway family and friends.

Posted by: person who wants to help out at December 11, 2005 10:43 AM

I've managed to save up roughly $74408 in my bank account, but I'm not sure if I should buy a house or not. Do you think the market is stable or do you think that home prices will decrease by a lot?

Posted by: Courtney Gidts at January 10, 2006 07:19 PM

You all really need to learn how to spell. In spite of Natalie, your poor spelling and hard to read postings are making the good people of Aruba look like uneducated fools.

Posted by: Aruba Native at April 25, 2006 07:18 AM