August 13, 2005

Analyzing BlogAds

I have been thinking about advertising on BlogAds, but I wanted to make sure that I would make the most of what I spend. I wanted to compare the rates with the actual daily traffic of the blogs. BlogAds has a running traffic of the blogs, but that's a total count, starting from when they joined up. I have a list of the average daily unique visits I grabbed occasionally from The Truth Laid Bare Ecosystem and use with the Why Blog Survey.

The solution was to write a script that would use the info from BlogAds (they conveniently use a nicely formatted javascript code that loads on the order page) and compare it with the traffic listings from TTLB. The results are interesting. I wanted the most visitors for my advertising buck, but also to know how many other ads would be in that space. There are other variables that are a bit more subjective so I couldn't factor them into the script.

The results are as follows:

The analysis of the cost per 100 visitors at the weekly rate.

The analysis of the cost per 100 visitors at the monthly rate.

The analysis of the cost per 100 visitors at the 3 month rate.

I'll try to update the data weekly. Make sure you read the warnings on the pages. The data is rough and gives a general idea of which blogs are the best deal, but take the initiative to recheck the actual numbers before you trust the results.

Posted by Danny Carlton at August 13, 2005 06:30 PM

Comments

Danny, great bit of work and a real boon to anyone thinking of using blogads. Thanks for your efforts, and thanks for including GM's corner in the list.

While I'm at it, thanks for all the links over the last several months.

Posted by: GM Roper at August 15, 2005 08:17 AM

Thanks for doing this, Danny. I'm sure it was no easy task! =D

Posted by: Brian at August 15, 2005 08:38 AM

Actually I included everyone who has BlogAds and sitemeter. I let the script do the deciding. I'll try to update the stats sometime today.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 15, 2005 10:51 AM

No Daybyday cartoon?

Posted by: chris Muir at August 15, 2005 11:46 AM

Chris, I really like Day by Day, but I don't have room. Since you were so nice to post a comment, though, I'll see about whipping up a "popout" div to display it.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 15, 2005 02:48 PM

For some reason TTLB doesn't calculate my sitemeter visits correctly. You have me at 362 visitors/day, but really I'm at just over 3,000.

You can see for yourself by clicking on my counter at the bottom of my blog.

Posted by: Rob at August 15, 2005 03:16 PM

Yeah, Rob, you're right. By my count that would put you at $0.06762 per 100 visitors for a one week ad ($15), $0.045807 per 100 visitors for a one month ad ($45) and $0.04287 per 100 visitors for a three month ad ($125).

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 15, 2005 03:50 PM

Doh! Chris, did you mean that there's no mention of Day by Day in the list? For some reason you're not listed on the ecosystem. I used their traffic stats. I'm still planning on doing that div thingy, though.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 15, 2005 03:54 PM

When we started M.A.W.B. Squad, Chris was kind enough to do a graphic for our site. We bought a three month ad on Day by Day. It was very inexpensive compared to the number of hits he gets, and had good click through.

Chris, you are everywhere, or maybe I'm stalking you? Second post I've read tonight that you had commented on. :) You may do a strip, but you're definitely a blogger at heart.

Posted by: Sandy at August 16, 2005 05:04 AM