August 17, 2005

The MSM's selective outrage

Apathy

Boise, Idaho, January, 2003 - A pro-life display of 3,000 small white crosses, placed in a churchyard to symbolize unborn lives eliminated by abortion, vandalized twice in two days. Minimal media coverage.

Amherst, Massachusetts, April 2003 - Protestors destroyed the 160 wooden white crosses erected by the UMass Republican Club to simulate an “abortion graveyard.” Minimal media coverage.

Yuma, Arizona, January 2004 - More than 100 of the 4,000 crosses that were part of a church display meant to memorialize aborted babies were destroyed by vandals. Minimal media coverage.

Duluth, Minnesota, July 2004 - An unidentified driver destroyed 80 of the 400 three-foot crosses displayed on the lawn of Gethsemane Covenant Church. Minimal media coverage.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, January 2005 - Vandals stole or damaged 3,000 crosses at Louisiana State University that were set up as part of a silent pro-life protest against the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision. Minimal media coverage.

Indiana, Pennsylvania, January 2005 - Vandals knocked down 42 crosses erected by the Catholic Student Association to commemorate the 32nd anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision securing the legal right of American women to have an abortion. Minimal media coverage.

Outrage

Crawford, Texas, August 2005 -- Driver knocks down some of the crosses used as part of Cindy Sheehan's war protest. Coverage: Wired News, Reuters, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, FoxNews, CBS

What's also interesting is that as I was researching other stories I kept coming across the one about Larry Northern driving his truck over some of the crosses that Sheehan's group had put up. As I started looking for the actual stories, though, the ones I'd seen not an hour earlier were gone. Even Yahoo lists in their cache a link to one of their own stories about it, submitted sometime this morning, but now completely changed to another story.

Maybe I'm not the only one noting the hypocrisy of ignoring the numerous cross vandalisms over the years while harping about this one.

Also the ABC/AP coverage notes...

Rowena Jhant...a mother from Waco, Texas, and supporter of President Bush, [was] flanked by anti-war protesters objecting to her picking up crosses and American flags, part of their makeshift memorial to soldiers killed in Iraq, that had been vandalized the night before when a truck tore through them on the road leading to President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, Tuesday, Aug. 16, 2005. Jhant, who disagrees with the anti-war protesters led by 'peace mom' Cindy Sheehan, said she did not feel it was right to drive by and leave the American flags and crosses on the ground without trying to help repair the destruction.

In other words, after the guy mowed down some of the crosses, the protesters left them there, lying in the dirt, without bothering to pick them up (probably so they could use them to complain about people who disagree with them) If it was wrong of the truck driver to mow the crosses down, then it was also wrong of Cindy's minions to leave them there, defaced in the dirt. But then the crosses don't really symbolize soldiers who've died, they symbolize the hatred and anger Cindy's minions feel. If the memory of a fallen soldier gets profaned by the cross with his name on it lying in the mud, then that serves their purpose. It's not about loss of loved ones; it's about hatred for Bush.

Coverage: Angry in the Great White North, Michelle Malkin, The Anchoress

Posted by Danny Carlton at August 17, 2005 09:06 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The MSM's selective outrage:

» International News Roundup From Blog Reads And The MSM from Hyscience
A roundup of informative and interesting reads from quality sources [Read More]

Tracked on August 17, 2005 12:45 PM

Comments

It is about the troops. Whoever knocked those crosses down is an ignorant thug.

Your comparisons of such lame "pro-life" demonstrations is way off the mark. Cindy is one woman vs. the President of the United States. By its nature it's become a larger story, and every aspect of it has gotten a lot of coverage. In contrast all those "pro-life" demonstrations were local affairs and hardly in a position to get national coverage.

BTW pro-choice is the correct stance. Anti-abortionists can only make that decision for themselves, not for the rest of us.

Intelligent people distrust Bush (probably hate him) and know this war was started on a bunch of lies. You're wrong and people like you embarrass this country. And Michelle Malkin is a clueless loser as well.

Posted by: Smarter Than You at August 17, 2005 11:30 AM

How would "Smarter than you" know about intelligence? The left is so desperate all they can do is keep swinging for the knees with their eyes closed. Mother Cindy should listen to her faimly and go home, she is making a fool out of herself. It's hard to not feel sorry for her.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 11:41 AM

We are always told and teach our children that one person can make a differance. Good for Cindy for having the conviction to live her life for what she believes is right. God bless her. Pres. Bush, wise up!

Posted by: peace loveing mom at August 17, 2005 12:22 PM

I agree with Sherlock and and Danny Carlton. "Smarter than You" really shouldn't use that as his/her (although by the Pro-choice comment, I'm assuming he/she is a she, oh and btw, I'm a she too) as her name. Intelligent people know why this war makes sense. And by the by isn't the war over?? Aren't we staying there to reestablish a government like we did after WWII?? On that note, it took the US about 10 years to reestablish a government in Germany after WW2. So, hmmm, do ya think that MAYBE it will take a bit to reestablish government in Iraq?? I don't know. It seems to make sense to me. But according to Smarter than You, since I trust Bush I'm not smart enough to think of something like that. I'll agree with you on one thing. Pro-choice is a personal thing. Personally I would rather die than EVER considering killing an innocent child. However, isn't Third trimester and partial birth abortion taking it just a little too far??? Don't you think that after 7 months you should have already decided on whether or not you want that child?? Are three more months gonna kill you to just put the baby up for adoption?? Besides, from my research on pro-choice. Women feel that the baby is not alive until it is born. Well according to 3rd trimester and partial birth abortion procedures, the baby is partially born. Therefore, if the baby isn't alive until it is born then with those procedures it is partially born and it is being partially killed.

Posted by: tired of hypocrites at August 17, 2005 12:30 PM

I think it is sad that a mother would use the death of her son to get attention. You know it is a volunteer army. It is a job these people chose. It comes with danger. Danger they accepted. You would have to be really stupid not to know that dying for you country and it's polices wasn't part of the deal. Maybe she should have protested more when her son joined. I don't agree with Bush on everything but I think he is doing the right thing, better fight there now, than later here!

Posted by: ONE more voice at August 17, 2005 12:38 PM

The deaths of our brave servicemen and women is terrible, however freedom isn't free. The main point of anger shouldn't be pointed toward The President. The last time that I checked, the United States still has an all volunteer army. They signed on the dotted line, no one forced them.

Posted by: Howard Wikoff at August 17, 2005 12:42 PM

When we can all get over the left/right name calling,and political slotting, we will still be left with the facts. A majority of Americans now disagree with the President's position on this war. It is easy to dismiss those who disagree with his war policies by saying they "hate Bush." I have no particular feelings about Mr. Bush as a person. As a citizen I am compelled to analyze his positions and policies and make an informed opinion of them. That is one of my duties. Nothing has convinced me that the manner in which this war was initiated and carried out reflects our goals as a country. As a veteran I support our military. However, the military's role is subservient to national policies. From the outset those policies have been at best based on dubious facts. Pursuing them puts our soldiers needlessly in harms way. As I continue to inform myself about this issue I an convinced that we must extricate ourselves from Iraq.

Posted by: Bill Hagan at August 17, 2005 12:44 PM

Dear Danny,

Maybe some people do hate President Bush but that is really ill-relevant to this issue. I am proud of Cindy for standing up and being accounted for. Unfortantely, I can not say the same for President Bush and his administration. Quoting one of our famous presidents " The buck stops here". When you are in a position of authority than you must be accountable for your actions. Why can't Cindy have a meeting with President Bush, if I am not mistaken he works for us (all of us) the American people and we deserve and should demand him to be accountable for the actions that he and his administration have taken. As anyone in a position of authority should be. So please do not make this a battle over hatred but one of accountablity. We the people deserve it!

Posted by: Sara Sievert at August 17, 2005 01:00 PM

idiot. nobody, why does your opinion rate? because you have web access

Posted by: no one at August 17, 2005 01:04 PM

THE GOD I WORSHIP DOES NOT CONDONE WAR BUT LOVE.
AND HOW SAD THAT SO MUCH I HATE IS DIRECTED AT A POOR MOTHER WHO LOST HER SON. YOU WHO SPEAK OUT SO READILY DO YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE SERVING IN THIS WAR. I NOTICE MR BUSH DOESN'T NOR MR. CHANEY. UNTIL YOU LEARN THE HEART BREAK OF LOSING A BELOVED CHILD DON'T SPEW YOUR HATRED SO READILY AT THIS HEART BROKEN MOTHER. THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY AND PEOPLE DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST.

Posted by: VIV SIMMONS at August 17, 2005 01:07 PM

Peace, which version of Mother Cindy's story are you going with, the first one (when Bush was her hero?) or the last one (when Bush is a bastard?) She can't have it both ways, can she? She clearly has an agenda and is being used by the irresponsible and dangerous George Soro's and most know he wants desperately to get his mitts on our National Treasury. Do you know how many countries he has bankrupted for his own gain? Didn't think so. Mother Cindy is attacking my troops and my President with her hormonal-out of control Mickey Mouse ham fame desired pychotic rants. She needs an ambulance telling Israel what to do, for starters. Did she even graduate e from high school, what does she know about international studies? This is transparent as glass. What is wrong with you in utopia? She's not standing up for anything other than the terrorist's that want America destroyed. Her protests are bordering treason. Dear Lord, you people worry me.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 01:09 PM

Bush hatred? Give me a break. We're talking about the mother of a fallen patriot. Have you no dignity? Have you no shame?

There are some people in this world--who shall remain nameless, but their initials are D.C.--who could not operate an outhouse even if there were illustrated instruction affixed to the inside of the door. Maybe that's why they are so full of iiit.

jrf42

Posted by: J R Ford at August 17, 2005 01:10 PM

I AGREE.PEOPLE WHO GET SO WOUND UP ABOUT A WAR DON'T SEEM TOO WORRIED ABOUT UNBORN CHILDREN GETTING SLAUGHTERED EVERY DAY. I BELIEVE YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY. IT IS ONLY ABOUT THE HATRED OF BUSH. THE PRESIDENT WOULD HAVE BEEN ATTACKED JUST AS MUCH IF HE HAD SAT IDLE AFTER THE ATTACKS OF 9-11. AND WHO IS TO SAY IF WE HAD NOT GONE TO WAR CINDY OR HER SON MIGHT NOT BE HERE BECAUSE OF ANOTHER ATTACK.

Posted by: BRIAN HOLLAND at August 17, 2005 01:17 PM

Good Grief, I can't believe what I am reading. Let US all sing Kumbuyah the next time a 747 is aimed at a sky scraper. Just pull the L word out of your back pocket, that will show 'em. By thw way, it is all Slick Willy (Marc Rich buddy) fault, he knew about Bin Laden and the 911 attack in 1996.

Dollop~!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 01:19 PM

Dear Mr. Lewis,
You got it wrong. Nobody hates Bush. He's just another 200 pounds of flesh. What people hate is what he has done allegedly in the name of our Lord. For his friends and family's financial interests he has thrown oil on a fire. As anyone with good sense would have know, it has flared up and burned not only our good soldiers, but the flames are licking our entire house. You don't have to be againgst Jesus Christ to have good sense. And spouting Christ's name will not bring one good sense. What you should consider standing for in Christ's name is good sense, not hypocrisy and profiteering, not God for the masses and riches for the few.

Posted by: Jack Riles at August 17, 2005 01:25 PM

I think if you "ignorant" or "just dont't care pro-choice" as you call yourselves could witness an abortion,where a human being and yes a human being is tortured and appendages are torn from the torso in an effort to rid yourselves of what you call a blob of tissue. You must have failed your sex education/reproductive classes. If you did not want the CHILD you should have resisted the urge to have sex or at least used a method of birth control. Self righteous all knowing as yourselves make me sick. Your kind is the problem with this world! I am very sorry that Cindy's son was killed in the line of duty protecting all of us in this country. I think she has tunnel vision. The story she is sending to all the other's families who also lost their children is like a nice kick in the teeth. Cindy, your son was there for his country, for his parents and family and yes for your future generations. I know Cindy's son was one of intellectual and caring. He did not have to go; it was his choice. Since the beginning, wars have been fought to protect our families and preserve our precious freedoms. You need a good History Lesson on the founding of this Great America. There has and always will be Draft Dodgers. I believe Cindy's son was there because he wanted to be and to try to make a difference in the lives of a tortured people.Honor him and let him rest in PEACE!!!!! I feel if he could speak he would say, "Mom go home and instill your energy into contributing peace in your family and community." Help a teenager who has lost their way,an elderly citizen who drowns out their loneliness with a TV playing all day,whose diet is very meager because their Social Security Check barely pays for medicine and utilities,help a widowed veteran by babysitting or giving Emotional Support.The Energy you are using in pursuing President Bush could be used in such a positive way.Leave something positive for your Precious Son. That is all that matters in the end! Life and Time is Precious.I am GRATEFUL to your Son and all the other Sons and Daughters who have lost their Precious Lives for all of us. Not in just this war but all others. I have family who have died protecting our Country. There is a great loss with their presence but I do not believe for an instant they would change a thing.

Posted by: sedlak at August 17, 2005 01:26 PM

All of this is pure nonsense. All the soldiers knew what they were doing and what was going to happen. Cindy is just making a fool out of her self thinking that she can make a difference?? Give me a break. She should be proud of her son dying in war to protect our country and to give freedom to the rest[and yes I feel sorry for her but he didn't die for no reason. He made a difference in so many lives]. And like most of you know freedom isn't free. It is wrong to go to war but if no one stands up for the people who can't be heard then who will but President Bush?

All of you guys are ignorents and selfish. Other people need our help and finally one president stands up to help those who are in need and now everyone from his country hate him?? That's pure ignorance

Posted by: BLACkROSeTEARS3 at August 17, 2005 01:32 PM

Settle down. Hatred? What hatred has Pres. Bush or DC thrown towards Cindy? None.
Also, pro Life is the right stance. Yes you do have free will to choose to "kill" your baby and you also have the choice to take responsibility for your own actions and not destroy a life. pro choice = murder.

Posted by: Tom at August 17, 2005 01:36 PM

I wonder if we all shouldn't take a look at what we want. The peace of mind and the safty of knowing that there are people out there that want to keep us safe. I believe that some people take advantage of the situation that we are in just to futher their own interests. I do believe that the war is necessary and that we should go in with all the resources that we have to make sure that the attacts on american lives cease. Just as the people that wanted us out of ww2 use the same story. we do not belong there. Bring our troops home.. I heard all of this before and what does it get us more heart break. Not only one person is dead but almost 3,000 such as in the world trade center.REMEMBER NEXT TIME IT MIGHT IN YOURBACK YARD.

Posted by: FAW at August 17, 2005 01:46 PM

Yeah,but who doesn`t hate Bush?You religious moderates crack me up,you`re so damn quick to be judgmental,but you have no qualm's with backing up an administration who would rather lie,even if the truth sounded better.Does Jesus love liars?

Posted by: Donna at August 17, 2005 01:47 PM

How do you define BUSH" or hatred for BUSH" the person G. W. Bush is just an empty headed idiot ( a puppet) His entourage -- the decision makers, are "BUSH"-- and have created a sloppy, unnecessary situation resulting in the brutal murders of our own young men who have been manipulated into this war, along with the thousands of innocent men, women and children who are being blown to smithereens for no reason. There is no justification for allowing this war to continue,let alone escalate. The representative of the Bush administration, Mr. Bush, needs to ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS and his overseers need to order our troops home -NOW-as well as put in place a reasonable way to HELP (not take over) Iraq to repair it's broken society-NOW-. Bush is too idiotic to hate , the Bush administration is money hungry, evil and self serving so of course one can expect emotions of hatred toward them and all the damage they have caused and all that they represent.

Posted by: Teresa A. P.C. at August 17, 2005 01:47 PM

I am with our President .I'm a Veteran of W.W.2
RFD also mislead us in that war .He also knew what strings to pull to get the Japanese to attack us .It was oil as it is today .But with all his wrongs we the American People stood behind him .(Right or Wrong )I as one who enlisted when I was 17 didnot do it for the benefits cause there were none .But again had we not gotten into the war ,It would have come here to America,We the American people and parents have lost our loved ones in war .If we are real American's .We will back our President .And May I add.We are lucky to have a strong President who will not falter when the going gets rough like the protesters camping outside of our Presidents Ranch..Four years since we have been attacked .Had it not been for our Strong leader .Some of you would not be here .You have that right to protest .But you protestors are the best ammunition the Insurgents have to try and stop not only the people who must give their lives for our Freedom .But for our world to exsist as we know it .The Insurgents are out to destroy freedom like Hitler and Tojo of Japan were out to take over the world ..When one writer says .We had a President that said the Buck stops here .He gave the order to drop the Bomb to end W.W.2 and yes the Buck then did stop there .The Japanese People ,Some had to give their lives for the freedom they have today.For as Ugly and dreadful as it was .It had to be done to bring people to their senses ..In America today There are people who don't even know there is a war going on cause all they care about is their greed .They give up nothing .Only the Parents of the loved ones that are killed know that a war is going on. We are helping a Country who was taken over by a Saddam Heussein who only wanted what was best for him and his Family .The people of Iraq now have a chance to have a real life and Country with the help of our Men and Women and those that gave their lives for that cause .Many of the Iraq People are dying for that freddom that some day their children will be able to enjoy. America didnot just Happen.Lots of Blood was spilled for that Freedom ..Freedom is not free and never will be .But as I in leaving this world will feel we still have the right people in power to have in time a peaceful World .Thank you and God Bless America ..

Posted by: Vic Herman at August 17, 2005 01:48 PM

This is in response to 'tired of hypocrites':
Comparing the Iraq war to the reconstruction of Germany is a definitely not a logical leap. We are still losing lives in Iraq. The reconstruction of Germany was not a bloody one.

I have four kids in Iraq now and I worry daily. I support them and pray daily. However, they do deserve to know why they are there. If that simple request makes me a liberal, then so be it.

Talk about hypocrites, someone who was against Cindy Sheehan plows over the crosses (hmm, a symbol the Right has embraced) then fingers are pointed at the protesters? Explain that logic to me!!

Posted by: Cadjin at August 17, 2005 01:48 PM

i just would like to say to jake riles your post couldn't have been more true i liked it good job

Posted by: karen joo at August 17, 2005 01:59 PM

I don't know who the idiot was that decided crosses placed on church grounds memorializing abortion victims was equal to crosses memorializing soldiers killed in action. It seems to me to be a big stretch in trying to equate the outrage of the destruction of each of these memorials. Oh, maybe the right wing kool aid drinkers can't deal with the issue of a President on vacation who doesn't have 5 minutes to listen to a mother whose son was sent to a war sold to us because of WMD's that never materialized. I get it now, it's a smokescreen to throw the truth seekers off track.

Posted by: Tony at August 17, 2005 02:00 PM

If you are pro life, as I am you must be against this war! It was a pre-emptive strike with no provocation and as we have seen so far, no justification.
Also I am against the death penalty and against laws making abortion illegal (people die in back alley abortions). I am proud to be pro-life and will continue to protest this senseless war!

Posted by: WayneW at August 17, 2005 02:00 PM

hey

Posted by: Lee Sillery at August 17, 2005 02:08 PM

YOur blog would not let me post an intelligent peice of blog material for no aparent reason screw this blog!@!

Posted by: Lee Sillery at August 17, 2005 02:15 PM

this is crap

Posted by: bill at August 17, 2005 02:22 PM

Koolaid drinkers, that's Bill OReilly's line about you.

Don't these whiners know that Mother Cindy has already met with Bush once, a year ago? Where were they then? Mother Cindy planted President Bush with a big ole kiss. Seems like somebody has paid her to change her story, just a hunch. From kiss to bastard. That's a leap.

***eyerolling***

There should be an age limit for blog posters.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 02:27 PM

Open dialog comes from open minds. I tried to post a larger comment excerpted from direct quotes, but was prevented from doing so due to "questionale content."

Your HOST has chosen to CENSOR the correct spelling of the words, but not to censor the promulgation thereof. How ironic.

From "The 14 Defining Characteristics Of Faxism"
By Dr. Lawrence Britt

12.Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.

Posted by: No BS at August 17, 2005 02:33 PM

Your comments re Cindy Sheehan do not reflect a Christian faith that you espouse. Perhaps you don't have children. You need to rethink your words. Your comments should be laced with kindness and understanding, otherwise, changing another's position is not possible, and certainly NOT a reflection of a person with true Christain faith!

Posted by: Anne Swope at August 17, 2005 02:38 PM

My local newspaper had a photograph in it showing the crosses that were run over in Crawford being righted by the very same people who put them up originally. So why do you say they left them in the mud and are no better than the guy who ran them over? These crosses represent the lives of soldiers who gave the ultimate - you are trying to muddy people who are simply there to ask why they had to make that sacrifice. George Bush owes this mom, and all the other moms and dads and wives and husbands and sons and daughters an honest answer. Problem is, he doesn't have an honest answer in him.

Posted by: Linda at August 17, 2005 02:42 PM

WHy am I hanging around here. I have no idea.

Call her "Mother Cindy", that is her preference, number one. I just saw a new picture of her at her new Camp and somebody paid her to get her hair colored and fixed up. I was wondering when she was going to take a shower.

I don't feel sorry for her anymore. Her son is rolling in his grave. She is a total idiot and should be charged with treason if she attacks this country and President Bush again. We have been to lite on Treason in this country. That would really make the Peace*troublemakers*niks clean their pipes if we put that back on the books. They are like children sitting in the back seat, grabbing Dad's steering wheel as he is driving 90 mph down the winding road.

George Soro's should be kicked out of America.

Idiots. Put that in your judgemental pipe and smoke it. God understands.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 02:46 PM

. President Bush has already answered her question. He told her the noble cause in 2004 when she kissed him. Do you realize how stupid and cumbersome you sound? It's called being a troublemaking treasonous desperado for Soros and Michael Moore. You democrats have nothing else. Howard Dean has ruined it for your party. We already know the cause. It is a noble cause and a defensive cause. It's not that she doesn't know the reason, it is the fact that she likes being famous like "Mickey Mouse". She even stated that. Pay attention. She is being USED. Her actions are to the point of being criminal. I don't buy her boo hoo story. Her son probably joined the service to get away from her. She's 20 fries short of a happy meal.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 02:57 PM

Open dialog comes from open minds.

The 14 Defining Characteristics Of Fascism
By Dr. Lawrence Britt

1.Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

2.Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in Fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

3.Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

4.Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a Fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.

5.Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under Fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in Fascist nations.

6.Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in Fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

7.Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in Fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

8.Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a Fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

9.Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

10. Rampant Sexism - The governments of Fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under Fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.

11.Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

13.Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

14.Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in Fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the Fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. Britt found 14 defining characteristics common to each.

Posted by: fortytwo at August 17, 2005 03:01 PM

Treason is what Karl Rove did (revealing the identity of a covert CIA operative) not questioning teh governemnent about why we are fighting a war with no plan? If the president could only explian why we went to war and what the plan and definition to win it is, perhaps more than 38% of this country could get behind him.

Posted by: WayneW at August 17, 2005 03:04 PM

"It is fortunate for the government that the people do not think." -- A. Hitler, Mein Kamph

Posted by: fortytwo at August 17, 2005 03:05 PM

It is not just about the crosses, it is about no more names on no more crosses. The people in your corner are Bush supporters, mostly, but this isn't about Bush, I don't blame him, this is his first war, having had other things to do (campaigning in Alabama during Vietnam), it isn't about people hating Bush, it is about soldiers dying needlessly and killing others, needlessly. It isn't about stopping terrorism, is it? It has little hope of making us safer here, does it? If there is hatred, it will lessen when the war is over, but that takes a lot of time. and we are early into the recognition that the war is wrong, ineffective and should be brought to an end. Heck it isn't even about gasoline prices, they've doubled while we were over there trying to secure "our oil" while we frivolously burned more. If this were a war, we'd all have gas rationing cards, and be walking or taking the bus. No this isn't about sacrifice for the country whose taxes have been lowered while the troops die. It is about ego, and a bad entry decision. And now it needs to come to an end

Posted by: Joe Abbinanti at August 17, 2005 03:06 PM

Have some respect for a mother who lost her son. Anyone who is not in the military serving in Irag should just shut the hell up. Whatever her motives, her son died over there. Before you start trashing her ask yourself, have you earned that right? Most of us are sitting on our asses or strolling the isles of Walmart. Is this an apt discription of you?

Posted by: A Tired American at August 17, 2005 03:07 PM

I agree, Karl Rove should be fired and jailed.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 03:07 PM

I wonder about the politicization of the war - anti-war movements. As the offspring of family who served in previous wars, one stationed at Pearl Harbor - Dec. 7, another, a survivor of the Bataan Death March, and another, a Sgt. part of the infantry during the last battle of Pork Chop Hill, I have never known any of these men ever talking about their experiences with the war or the duties they performed. My peeve is that yet each night, I watch the news and it is never without a story or interview with one who has returned from Iraq more than willing to share the "experience". I would not take away anything from these modern day hero's for they are serving their country as promised. Considering the situation, most likely are doing so beyond expectation. However, politicization by either side has not made for a good deodorant. This is not the time to exploit politics. We are in a bad spot but don't blame the kid's fighting there, support their families, support their efforts, that is what we do best as Americans, or have we forgotten?

Posted by: JJ Monichelli at August 17, 2005 03:09 PM

Be advised, this board proactively CENSORS that which they do not wish you to read. Maybe they should join W down on the ranch for a book barbeque.

Posted by: fortytwo at August 17, 2005 03:09 PM

Those who try to excuse the thug who knocked down the crosses, or the thug who fired his shotgun to frighten the protesters, have no shame. Mrs. Sheehan lost her son, she lost her son in a war that has no justification, a war that was started on lies, and that continues on lies.
Her son died because George W. Bush started a war that wasn't needed, and he lied to the world to justify starting that war.
Is that the answer you give to Mrs. Sheehan? Your son does in a war that wasn't needed and that was started on lies? How to you tell her that? Bush can't tell her, so he refuses to meet with her.
THe people who support Bush can't answer that either, so they attack Mrs. Sheehan for a dozen other reasons, but they avoid the real question, and that is "how can you go to war against a country and ask young American soldiers to die in that war when you have nothing but lies to justify that war?"
Mrs. Sheehan is looking for truth and justice; George W. Bush is hiding behind lies and behind the acts of thugs who want to chase Mrs. Sheehan away because she seeks the truth.

Posted by: Jay Magoo at August 17, 2005 03:13 PM

Uh, fortytwo, it's not a board, it's the comment section of a blog post. Also, MT_Blacklist uses a compiled list of keywords to attempt to block spammers. The technology isn't perfect, but it's still by a script, not a person. I get blocked all the time and it's my blog. It's either that, or I spend two hours every day deleting comment and trackback spam.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 17, 2005 03:15 PM

Cindy Sheehan, aka Mother Sheehan, met with President G W Bush, President No.43, in the year 2004. They had a discussion about her son's sacrifice and his noble cause. The meeting was sealed with a kiss.

ps we are in 2005 now.

I have no respect for a mother that would spit on her own son's grave.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 03:27 PM

Keep it up Cindy - I support you and all the other supporters that are there with you. Bush and Chaney are only over in Iraq to get themselves richer through Haliburton and not for the people of America or Iraq. Supposedly he went over there to get Saddam Hussein and we got him - if it really is him. So what are we doing over there now - he has not been tried and gets a free bed and food every day. What about the people in the United States that do not have a bed or food. We the taxpayers are paying to rebuild Iraq and Afganisthan and for what - these people are never going to change. What has happened to Osama Bin Laden? I see that Bush does not mention him anymore and wanting to get him - because he is too busy wanting to be the ruler of the world and go down in History as a martyr and get himself richer. Why do him and Caney give some of the money they are making to the children suffering in Africa without food and water. - But no he and Chaney are too selfish for that , It shows you what a coward he is when he cannot come out and meet this woman - he calls himself a good christian and a man of God - he is nothing but a hypocrite and innocent people all over the world are being attacked because he wants to stay in Iraq - where are his morals.How many of the Republicans in Government have their children over there? Wonder what the answer would be to this. Bush needs to worry about this country and the economy instead of trying to be the big man and wants to rule the world.BRING OUR TROOPS HOME - BRING THE ENGLISH TROOPS HOME - BRING THE AUSTRALIAN TROOPS HOME. Let Iraq worry about themselves - Charity begins at home Mr Bush and in your own backyard and not in everyone elses. Stop trying to go down in History as Mr. Goody Two shoes. KEEP IT UP CINDY and show Mr Bush what an idiot he is.

Posted by: keep it up at August 17, 2005 03:31 PM

It's spelled Cheney. We just paid 51 billion to feed Africa. We can chew gum and walk at the same time. Do you realize Iraq is close to having a constituion? Saddam is in jail, his gruesome sons are dead. Sounds like Casey died for a good cause. Soro's fools, get them out of this country. Sorry------------> out out out

Wonder why Mother Sheehan's husband is divorcing her? Could be he is furious at what she is doing to her own child's grave.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 03:41 PM

Bush is nothing but a liar and a cheat and Chaney as well - they do not care for the people of Iraq - they want to get richer while the poor get poorer. We went over to get Saddam Hussein and the oil and what do we have now - higher oil prices and more money in Bush and Chaney's pockets. If Bush had a brain he would be dangerous. Send his two daughters over and see how they like it. GET OUT OF IRAQ

Posted by: support for Cindy at August 17, 2005 03:41 PM

IF we went over to get the oil as Soros, et al, said in the beginning, we wouldn't be having a gas crisis. Maybe the terrorists are actually in charge of OPEC afterall? Hmmmmmm
Now you are complaining because we didn't get our oil. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 03:48 PM

Who cares about how you spell Cheney and by the way it is constitution. How do we know that it really is Saddam in prison and not a double, Give more to Africa. His sons are dead but his wife and daughters are living the life of the rich in Jordan - how come they do not help their own people as they have plenty of money. Casey did not die for a good cause - he was lied to just like everone else has been lied to by idot Mr. Bush and idiot Mr. Cheney

Posted by: replying back at August 17, 2005 03:50 PM

I tried to post to this blog, but it didn't like that I called to the savior, so it said no. Figures.

Posted by: JM at August 17, 2005 03:55 PM

It never ceases to amaze me to what lengths ideologues will go to protect their beliefs, no matter how discredited they may be.(When,in the past 4 1/2 years, have you been right about anything George Bush and his gaang have said or done ?). Republicans of conscience have long since seen through the duplicity, incompetence - and outright danger to our country - that's represented by George Bush and his gang. Why do you people still cling to the notion that there is anything redeeming about these criminals ??

You'd better get on board soon or look forward to living out your worst nightmare - a sharp turn to the political left that will ensue when the rest of the country wakes up to the truth and rejects your political extremism !

Gene St.Onge

Posted by: gene st.onge at August 17, 2005 03:59 PM

The Gaza pullout is more than any US President has done in history. Stay tuned, our cause is great and we aren't going to let some soros-moore frog taint that success. It's historical.

Deal with it.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 04:25 PM

To all of you who bash Cindy for protesting the war because it seems offensive to you, shame on you! Last time I checked, I believe we all still have the right to freedom of speech and opinion (and for those ignorant ones out there, our opinions all differ.) Obviously you all have never lost a child, and have lost your disregard for humanity. We are talking about human life here, thousands of human lives, both American and Iraqi have been taken away. For what? For our freedom, for American freedom? Since when do we have the right to do this to other people; but it has been the way that MAN has settled disputes for centuries. Just imagine if somebody came into your home and took away everything that you have, and bombed the city you live in and killed all of your friends and family and told you they were trying to help you, you would laugh in their face. Well this is what we are sending our soldiers into Iraq to do, take away Iraqi's lives for our freedom.

Posted by: Tiffany at August 17, 2005 04:33 PM

I am a liberal and i love America, my friends on the right seem to believe the the two are mutually exclusive. That being said, i hate what resident Bush has turned this nation into, from Iraq to the environment he has proved to be the ultimate divider unlike his campaign pledge to the contrary. Cindy Sheehan is a hero in the great tradition of people who have stood up to their leaders when their obvious lies have and will cause incalculable grief and misery for years to come. I will be going to a candlelight vigil tonight to support Cindy and to add my voice to the growing movement for peace. Wake up America Dubya is leading us down the path to third world status and now is the time to make your voice heard.

Posted by: martin j. wheeler at August 17, 2005 04:40 PM

Mother Sheehan is whipping on the Office of President, something that flies right over many heads. Grasshoppers.

Our troops don't like what she is doing and they die for her right to say it. She is trying to cause a revolt. There is a difference.

I am finsihed giving this any attention. She is yesterday's news. MSM has moved on.org.

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 04:44 PM

You are assembling a puzzle by forcing the pieces to fit according to what you want rather than what it is.

Adios~!

Posted by: SherlockRWBShoes at August 17, 2005 05:08 PM

Jesus said to love your neighbor and love your enemies. For Christians who support war as a means of solving conflict, show me where your Savior condoned war or sanctioned violence (or, for that matter, insulting others in a blog). Some of the most evil acts of history (e.g., the Inquisition, witch burning, holy wars) have been committed by those who thought they were doing God's will. Thank you Cindy Sheehan for standing up for what you believe in.

Posted by: Joe at August 17, 2005 05:09 PM

I AM CONSTANTLY AMAZED AT HOW RIGHT-WING CONSERVATIVES AND LIBERTARIANS ACT AS IF

THERE WERE SOME WORLD-WIDE CONSPIRACY ON THE PART OF - GEORGE SOROS -- THE WORLD

BANK-- JEWISH PEOPLE --THE UNITED NATIONS ETC., FOR EVERY NEFARIOUS PURPOSE AND SLUR

THEY CAN THINK OF. THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY, AND EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO AS THEY WANT - BUT

NOT THE GOVERMENT!!

ALL THESE CONSERVATIVE TELEVISIONS AND RADIO SHOWS SEEM TO ALWAYS BE READY TO SEND A

HEAT SEEKING MISSILE TO DESTROY THE OPINION OR REPUTATION OF ANYONE THEY DISLIKE OR

DISAGREE WITH. HOW ELSE COULD THEY HAVE DESTROYED A PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN BY PITTING

G.W. , BUSINESS FAILURE, NATIONAL GUARD SERVICE SKETCHY, OF NO INTELLECTUAL MERIT - AND

CLOAKED HIM IN THE AMERICAN FLAG LIKE A HERO! AND JOHN KERRY, WHO SPENT TIME IN

VIETNAM GETTING SHOT AT, AND SAVING THE LIVES OF HIS FELLOW SOLDIERS, INTO SOMETHING

SHAMEFUL? HE WENT AND FOUGHT THE WAR AS A PATRIOT,
AND HAD THE HONESTY TO COME BACK AND ASK THE GOVERNMENT OF THIS COUNTRY WHY???

WERE WE WASTING THE LIVES OF YOUNG AMERICANS IN AN UNWINNABLE WAR?

I WATCHED THIS CYNICAL PASSION PLAY WHEN THE "SWIFT BOATERS" SOUGHT TO SHAME A BRAVE

AN HONEST PATRIOT AND TO CROWN THIS JESTER AS PRESIDENT. THE CONSERVATIVES HAVE FOUND

THEY CAN RALLY THEIR SUPPORTERS WITH SLOGANS AND SOUND BITES, THAT THEY KNOW WILL BE

REPEATED AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE DISTORTED PORTRAITS THAT

THEY WEAVE. REAL AND VALUABLE POLITICAL DIALOGUE IS IN SHORT SUPPLY, BECAUSE THE

MARKETERS AND SPIN MEISTERS TRY TO TURN EVERY ACTION OR DECISION INTO A MISLEADING

CATCH PHRASE.

WHY ARE WE NOW WASTING THE LIVES OF YOUNG AMERICANS IN AN UNWINNABLE WAR?

THAT'S THE $64,000 QUESTION, MY FRIENDS. WHY DID OUR LEADERS LIE TO US, USING FALSIFIED

INTELLIGENCE REPORTS TO JUSTIFY WAR AGAINST A COUNTRY THAT WAS AT THE VERY LEAST

STABLE, AND NOT A BIG AL-QUEDA SUPPORTER. WHAT I HAVE LEARNED, AND OBSERVED, IS THAT

BUSH, WHO RUNS THIS COUNTRY LIKE A THEOCRACY, THINKS HIS LORD IS TELLING HIM WHAT TO

DO. WHY ELSE HAVE ALL THESE DECISIONS BEEN MADE, AND NO ONE IS EVER ACCOUNTABLE? HE

NEVER EXPLAINS WHY CERTAIN DECISIONS ARE MADE (IF ASKED THERE IS UNPARALLED

STONEWALLING, WITH SHORT NON-ANSWERS BEING REPEATED LIKE MANTRAS). WHY DO YOU THINK

ARI FLEISHER, THE PREZ'S FIRST MEDIA SPOKESPERSON, LEAVE HIS POST? I THINK WHAT HE HAD TO

SAY TO THE PRESS EVERY DAY JUST STUCK IN HIS CRAW LIKE A CHICKEN BONE. THE POOR GUY THEY

HAVE NOW IS NOT UP TO THE TASK OF REPEATEDLY GIVING AGGRESSIVE REPORTERS NON-ANSWERS

OVER AND OVER AGAIN. BUSH, CHENEY, RUMSFELD, AND ROVE ARE ONE TIGHT BUNCH. NONE OF

THIS ADMINISTRATION'S DECISIONS HAVE EVER BEEN QUESTIONED BY THOSE WHO MAKE THEM, AS

IF MISTAKES CAN'T BE MADE. BUSH MAKES A DECISION, AND NEVER LOOKS BACK. THIS IS NOT A

GOOD QUALITY IN A LEADER. NEITHER IS THE ARROGANCE BY WHICH HE DOES SO.

THIS ADMINISTRATION HAS BEEN SITTING BACK AND TELLING US THAT THIS WAR IS NECESSARY,

WINNABLE, AND GOING QUITE SMOOTHLY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. HALLIBURTON IS REAPING

RECORD PROFITS! DURING THE PAST MONTH OR SO THEY SEEMED TO BE QUITE DIVORCED FROM

REALITY - THE GENERAL POPULACE HASN' T BEEN SO IDIOTIC - A QUICK GLANCE AT THE NEWSPAPER

ANY DAY WOULD TELL YOU THAT AMBASSADORS AND JOURNALISTS ARE BEING KIDNAPPED,
MORE SERVICEMEN AND MORE INNOCENT CIVILIANS ARE DYING. TODAY, 43 PEOPLE DIED. THAT

DOES NOT INCLUDE THE WOUNDED - WHO MAY HAVE LOST THEIR SIGHT OR THEIR HEARING, AN

ARM OR A LEG, OR SUFFERED DISABLING HEAD INJURIES. WHY AREN'T MORE MOTHERS PROTESTING,

YOU MAY ASK? IT IS NOT UNPATRIOTIC TO INCONVENIENCE HIS LORDSHIP THE PRESIDENT TO

PERHAPS REVIEW SOME OF THE CURRENT POLICIES IN IRAQ. HE HAS NEVER TOLD THE AMERICAN

PEOPLE WHY WE WENT TO WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE - DOES ANYONE REALLY BELIEVE THEY DID NOT

MANUFACTURE A REASON TO GO TO WAR? BUSH DECLARED WAR, BUSH NEEDS TO BE ACCOUNTABLE

TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

COLIN POWELL CUT AND RUN FROM THIS ADMINISTRATION AS SOON AS HE HAD THE CHANCE,

AFTER THEY USED HIM TO PRESENT FALSIFIED INTELLIGENCE REPORTS TO THE UNITED NATIONS.
HE COULD SEE WHAT WAS COMING, AND WANTED NO PART OF IT. THIS MAN IS A WELL-RESPECTED

FIGURE AMONG MANY AMERICANS. HE IS NOT A LIAR AND DISSEMBLER.

AS A RESULT, PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT OUR CONSERVATIVE RULERS, WHO HAVE THE POWER, WHO CAN

NAME SUPREME COURT JUDGES, WHO HAVE A MAJORITY IN BOTH THE CONGRESS AND THE HOUSE,

WHO CAN RIG ELECTIONS WITH NEPOTISM, WHO CAN BUY TELEVISION AND RADIO STATIONS THAT

WILL AGGRESSIVELY SPEW FORTH THEIR CONSTANT PROPAGANDA, WHO CAN DETERMINE WHEN

AND IF OUR COUNTRY GOES TO WAR, AND WHEN AND IF WE WILL END IT, WHO CAN PUT

JOURNALISTS IN JAIL (LIKE THE STILL-CORRUPT SOVIET GOVERNMENT UNDER EX-KGB AGENT PUTIN),

WHO CAN REFUSE TO JOIN THE REST OF THE WORLD IN JOINING TOGETHER TO STOP GLOBAL

WARMING.

WHO'S ALREADY GOT THE POWER AND IS ABUSING IT? GEORGE W. AND HIS CRONIES. THIS MOTHER IS

A PATRIOT, AND AS ONE OF YOUR OTHER RESPONDERS SO ELOQUENTLY SAID - SOMEONE YOU HAVE

NO RIGHT TO JUDGE WHEN YOU HAVE NOT LOST A LOVED ONE IN IRAQ YOURSELF.

WE HAVE A VICE PRESIDENT WHO USED TO WORK FOR HALLIBURTON - HALLIBURTON IS MAKING

QUITE A BIT OF MONEY IN THIS WAR. BOTH THE PRESIDENT AND VICE CHANEY BUILT FORTUNES ON

OIL MONEY - WHILE BUSH W. IGNORED THE POLLUTING OF HIS HOME STATE, BECAUSE OF

GRANDFATHER CLAUSES ALLOWING OLD FACTORIES TO SPEW DEADLY CHEMICALS INTO THE

ATMOSPHERE OF TOWNS, SCHOOLS - ENTIRE COMMUNITIES. AS GOVERNOR, HE COULD HAVE DONE

SOMETHING ABOUT IT. BUT THESE FACTORIES WEREN'T ANYWHERE NEAR THE UPSCALE

NEIGHBORHOODS WHERE HE AND HIS CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTORS LIVES. HE SACRIFICED PEOPLE'S

QUALITY OF LIFE IN FAVOR OF BUSINESS PROFITS.

EVERY TIME I OPEN THE NEWSPAPER I SEE MORE EXAMPLES OF THIS ADMINISTRATION
UNDERCUTTING OUR ENVIRONMENTAL LAWS. I LIVE NEAR WASHINGTON, DC, AND WE JUST HAD A

CODE RED ALERT DAY - THIS IS NOT A TERRORISM ALERT - IT HAPPENS WHEN THE HEAT AND THE

AIR POLLUTION ARE BASICALLY SO POISONOUS THAT EVEN HEALTHY PEOPLE ARE TO AVOID GOING

OUTSIDE. IT CAN BE DEADLY TO THE VERY YOUNG OR THE VERY OLD, OR ANYONE WITH A

REPIRATORY DISEASE. BUSH LIVES HERE!!!

SO THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE DO WHO CALL THEMSELVES THIS IS PRO-LIFE? THAT PEOPLE AND CHILDREN

GET CANCER, AND REPIRATORY DISEASES BECAUSE THIS COUNTRY IS RUN ON AND MAKES HUGE

PROFITS FROM OIL? I DON'T SEE ANYONE PUTTING UP CROSSES FOR THEM! UNBORN RIGHTS? WHAT

ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LOVED ONES TO CANCER - THE CHILDREN

WITH NO MOTHER, THE MOTHER WHO LOSES HER HUSBAND. WHAT ABOUT THE SUFFERING AND

DYING OF THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN - OUT OF THE WOMB, LIVING LIVES, BELOVED BY THEIR

FAMILIES. CHILDREN WHO AREN'T ALLOWED RECESS OR TO GO OUT AND PLAY BECAUSE OF THE

POOR AIR QUALITY. WE SHOULD BE FIGHTING FOR ALL THESE LIVES FIRST, LIVES THAT ARE

ALREADY VIABLE AND BEING LIVED, NOT A MONTH OLD COLLECTION OF STEM CELLS!!!

WHO HAS GOT THE POWER? WHO HAS GOT THE MONEY? WHO IS RUNNING THE GOVERNMENT AND

TRYING TO UNDERMINE THE CHECKS AND BALANCES SET UP BY OUR CONSTITUTION ON THE THREE

BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT - THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH SEEMS TO BE WORKING HARD TO CONTROL

THE JUDICIAL IN ANY WAY, AND TO POLARIZE THE CONGRESS AND HOUSE.

AND THE FOURTH ESTATE? THATS MEDIA, Y'ALL. WE ARE JAILING REPORTERS BECAUSE OF

MALFEASANCE AND TREASON ON THE PART OF MEMBERS OF THE PRESIDENT'S STAFF. CARLE ROVE
IDENTIFIED A CERTAIN PERSON WHOSE NAME WAS CLASSIFIED, TO A REPORTER. THAT IS TREASON.
WE PUT PEOPLE IN JAIL FOR THAT. HE MUST BE FEELING UNTOUCHABE TO GO OUT ON A LIMB LIKE

THAT. PERHAPS HE DID IT AT THE PRESIDEN'TS BIDDING.

BUSH GIVES MORE POWER AND PORK TO BIG CORPORATIONS WHO ARE RUN BY PEOPLE WITH NO

LIMIT TO THEIR GREED - THEY THINK NOTHING OF STEALING AWAY AN ELDERLY PERSON'S

RETIREMENT FUND AS IF IT WERE THEIR PERSONAL PIGGYBANK, SO THEY CAN BUY THEMSELVES A

NEW LUXURY HOUSE - HOW MANY HOMES DOES KENNETH LAY HAVE? IT HAS BECOME AN EPIDEMIC

IN THIS COUNTRY - WHERE ARE THE ETHICS AND MORALITY OF THESE PEOPLE RUNNING THE

BUSINESSES OF THIS COUNTRY?? EVERY WEEK THERE IS ANOTHER COMPANY WHO HAS FALSIFIED

THEIR ACCOUNTING RECORDS SO THEY CAN SIPHON OFF CASH THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO THEM.

DOES BUSH CARE ABOUT THESE LIVES DESTROYED BECAUSE THESE CONMEN ARE SETTING UP A

FALSE PICTURE OF A GROWING ECONOMY?? HOW ABOUT ALL THESE ELDERLY RETIRED FOLKS WHO

LOST THEIR RETIREMENT SAVINGS? THAT IS JUST DEVASTATING!

WHY AREN'T WE ALL OUTRAGED BY THE SCUMBUCKET THAT OUR GOVERMENT AND BIG

CORPORATIONS HAVE BECOME? WHY IS IT THAT PRO-LIFERS DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANYONE ELSE'S

LIFE. OUR HOMES HAVE BECOME PRISONS BECAUSE OF THE POLLUTED AIR. THERE SHOULD BE A

LUXURY TAX ON ANY CAR THAT IS NOT AT LEAST A HYBRID - SUV'S TAKE UP TOO MUCH SPACE ON

THE ROAD, ON SIDE STREET PARKING, AND BURN TOO MUCH FUEL. THEY ARE DANGEROUS FOR

EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD - THEY REDUCE YOUR FIELD OF VISION, AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN SAFE

TO DRIVE. WHAT HAS THIS ADMINISTRATION DONE TO REDUCE OUR DEPENDENCE ON OIL? OH,

YEAH, THEY CAN ALWAYS GO ON UP TO ALASKA TO PUMP MORE OUT OF ONE OF THE MOST PRISTINE

ENVIRONMENTS ON EARTH!

WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR CHILDREN, PEOPLE? YOUR NIECES AND NEPHEWS, BROTHERS AND

SISTERS? THE NEXT SEVENTH GENERATION?

Posted by: SHOWMETHEMONEY at August 17, 2005 06:25 PM

I see all these comments about Iraq being a "bad" war - is there any such thing as a good war? I had 158 relatives fight for the North and 85 for the South in the Civil War - was that a good war? I think my dead relatives would say - NO!

My father and 7 uncles fought in WW II -
It could be argued that WW II was a bad war also -who cared if Hitler took over Europe and England and murdered the Jews - the Germans never attacked the good ol' USA did they?

I was in the dirty little war in Vietnam and Laos - during the cold war - where the superpowers picked a place to fight-in some small backwater country where neither superpower would suffer direct attacks - war is war - saw the same bad things my relatives saw in their wars.

However, in the course of human events, war is a necessary evil that we sometimes have to partake in whether we want to or not. Undeniably we were attacked on 9/11 - on our own soil. More Americans were killed on US soil by Muslim extremists than Hitler ever caused. The same Muslim extremists who believe that anyone who is not Muslim should be killed. There can be no negotiations or compromise with this type of mind set.

But, instead of sitting on our butts and waiting for the terrorists to attack us again, and again, (as the anti-war crowd would have us do) we chose to engage them on their own territory - it's hard to plan attacks against the USA when you have 200,000 American troops right on your tail. And we loose a few soldiers every day - they kill 1 American and we kill 100 of them - it's a war of attrition we will win because not every Muslim wants to be a terrorist.

Is it better that the streets run red with blood in Iraq or that we suffer hundreds of terrorists attacks in the US with ten of thousands of civilian casualties? That is the ONLY choice - unless you want to convert to being a Muslim
MAKE YOUR CHOICE -BUT DON"T SIT ON YOUR BUTT AND WHINE!

Posted by: Bill RIGOR at August 17, 2005 07:45 PM

I support Cindy Sheehan's efforts to meet with president Bush and her right to ask him why her son died. I also support our troops fighting in Iraq although I believe this was an unnecessary
war. To be honest, I support any war our government chooses to fight as long as our governement is honest and responsible enough to level with the American people.

My biggest source of frustration is that we never seem to fight to win. In Vietnam we were not allowed to take the fight to the enemy for fear that Russia or China or both would enter the fight. We fought the war with one hand tie behind our back and after losing 56,000 men, we simply cut and ran home. In iraq, we were stupid enough to believe that all our highly sophisticated and technologically superior Army could defeat Iraq in a matter of days and that would be the end of it. Our president was so convinced that he declared victory as soon as bagdad fell. Then the war started, we had too few troops on the ground
and we lost control of the country. Now we're losing 1 marine here, 4 marines there and its Vietnam all over again.

I believe that when our government decides that we need to go to war, we should fight all out to win with no other consideration to anything else until we have won. That means we should have sent 500,000 troops to iraq, defeat saddam's army quickly and then disarmed the entire country. We should have never returned the country to the Iraqi's until it was totally secure. I believe that if we don't have the stomach to fight a war to win, we should stick to diplomacy.

What do we gain by getting ourselves into a war and then have to cut and run when things go wrong and the American people get tried of losing soldiers one by one with no end in sight.

Posted by: Eugene Hernandez at August 17, 2005 10:41 PM

Cindy Sheehan is simply an uneducated, not-too-bright woman who has been taken in by the liberal,left-wing hate mongers who believe in killing babies, homosexual marriage, redistribution of wealth, the elimination of religion in our society (except, of course, Islam, whose adherents would like to kill us all), legalization of pot, socialism disguised as Democrat re-asccendance to power, illegal immigration (with driver's licenses for the illegals), paranoia over nuclear power, and the end of military recruitment so that the United States will have no ability to stand up for freedom and democracy in the world. They are the equivalent of the America Firsters prior to Pearl Harbor, whose credo was let the world go to hell and let Hitler laughter all the Jews and gypsies in Europe while we sit comfortably and watch.

Posted by: John Pluumb at August 18, 2005 12:24 AM

WRONG: The peace protesters left the crosses on the ground to show what kind of person who is for a war on weapons of mass destruction and at the same time disrespects the dead soldiers just because he wants to be right and keep his narrow ignorant political views

Posted by: janne D. at August 18, 2005 01:08 AM

Why is it that the same people who vote prolife vote for the death penalty?
As for Iraq. . .
Loose your son or daughter in a war that is wrong for this country and will not be won, then tell me it's the right thing to do! This has nothing to do with Bush, this has all to do with all the people who are not taking any interest in setting the right path for our great country. God bless you for trying Cindy, whether your effort works or fails.

Posted by: Lost my son . . . at August 18, 2005 01:34 AM

ok Cindy,
You have earned the right to protest and as usual the American press has the right to twist it any way they want to. That was why I went to Laos then Vietnam. I wish you fame and fortune. Jane Fonda also rode the anti war protest and is well remembered at every reunion.

Posted by: T.Buckley at August 18, 2005 05:24 AM

i noticed at the top all the crosses that were run over at the anti abortion sites were not covered by the media. I think the operative word there was the unborn. Now with the Cindy Sheehan protest we are talking about the born,grown and died in a needless war. It seems the Bush administration wants yopu to have the children to give him and his ilk a plentiful supply of cannon fodder,,as we all know their agenda is as the communists once was. They are after the later instead of the now. The right wing talking heads spew their vitriol at the mother of a dead American soldier when if you stop and think about it, we lost 3000 souls on 9/11 and the death toll in iraq is almost 1900 now. 1100 more dead and bush will be a greater threat to the lives of Americans tha Bin Laden. Kinda makes you say HMMMMM doesn't it. My family has fought in every war this country has had except the 2 gulf wars and we have paid our dues in blood to give Cindy the right to do her Constitutional right of protest. Of course as we have seen in the cases of abuse in our name the Bush administration uses the Constitution as toilet paper. The thing that really scares me is that the far right wingnuts believe the pap they are spewing, and as usual calling the left communist liberal spokespeople. Some day if you guys that can read in a comprehensive manner look up the definition of the word fascism and it's really amazing how much it parralels the Bush government. By the way, the enlistment age has been raised to 38 so all you righties can now put your money where your mouth is. Keep your powder dry and tata for now

Posted by: W. Baggett at August 18, 2005 08:12 AM

I want to quickly make a comment on the lady who asked about people who vote prolife and pro death penalty. We fight for the right of the innocent to be spared and proper justice for those who have done evil. Enough said.

Posted by: Savannah at August 18, 2005 10:09 AM

My daughter died of breast cancer three months ago. She was a lieutenant in the Navy Reserve. She did not agree with the war in Iraq but agreed with the war in Afghanistan. The whole controversy is not about right or wrong of war on terrorist or justification for the war but the right or wrong of the president's choice of the battlefield of the war.

Posted by: DFlack at August 18, 2005 10:41 AM

This is in response to SherlockRWBShoes, August 17, 2005 01:19 PM, first off, placing blame is a useless excercise. Second, President Reagan and then Vice President Bush knew about Osama Bin Laden before and during the Iran Contra hearings. Then Senator Gore had questioned Col. Oliver North about a $60,000 alarm system he placed on his own home. His response was for protection against Osama Bin Laden. So, if you are going to place blame, be sure of your facts. Has anyone wondered about the close connection between the Bush family and the Bin Laden families?

Posted by: Cadjin at August 19, 2005 12:30 PM

Cadjin, Col. North's alarm system and other means of protection were from threats made by Abu Nidal, not Osama bin Laden.

Posted by: Danny Carlton at August 19, 2005 01:46 PM

Thanks, Danny. I will research that. Because not long ago, an email was circulating accusing Gore and Clinton of not doing anything about OBL and that Gore had learned about him during the Iran Contra Hearings.

I will certainly research it. Don't want erroneous info. :)

Posted by: Cadjin at August 19, 2005 01:58 PM

Thanks, Danny. I found the information at the following site.

Posted by: Cadjin at August 19, 2005 02:00 PM

This is for John Pluumb. Are you really that paranoid?

Posted by: Cadjin at August 20, 2005 04:53 PM